Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

STIRLING UNIVERSITY CAMPUS, GARDEN COTTAGELB10453

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
28/10/1976
Supplementary Information Updated
15/05/2009
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Logie (Stirling)
NGR
NS 81492 96987
Coordinates
281492, 696987

Description

Earlier to mid 19th century. Single storey and attic, 6 irregular bays, rectangular-plan, row of cottages (in cottage ornee style) converted to single dwelling, on ground rising to N (rear). Painted render. Raised painted margins; painted stone cills. Rectangular finialed slate hung timber dormers. Central gabled and finialed porch with engaged painted sandstone Doric columns; rendered to sides. Doors to far right and left. Small windows to rear, some blank. Asymmetrical gabled ends with cyma recta skewputts perpendicular to E gable.

12- and 4-pane timber sash and case windows throughout. Pitched roof; grey slates. Corniced rendered central ridge stack with octagonal clay cans.

INTERIOR: principal stair to centre. Combed ceilings to attic. Some cast-iron grates in timber surrounds; some timber shutters.

Statement of Special Interest

A picturesque Victorian reconstruction of an earlier row of cottages in a cottage ornee style. Most later alterations are internal and the external appearance is little altered. Garden Cottage is set in a picturesque location, with a backdrop of mature trees and the ruined Logie Old Church (see separate listing) which is located to the E.

The cottage is typical of those described by Richard Brown in his 1841 book on Domestic Architecture as exemplified by the inclusion of the porch and the setting against the Hermitage Wood.

The original layout of three small cottages would have provided accommodation for estate workers. The cottage was later converted into a single dwelling and used at the outset of the University of Stirling as the main university offices (1967).

(Category changed from B to C(S) as part of a review of the University of Stirling Campus 2009).

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey, 1 Inch 1st Edition Maps of Scotland - Stirling, 1859 -63; J Gifford, F Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Stirling and Central Scotland, (2002) p. 790; Richard Brown, Domestic Architecture, (1841).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to STIRLING UNIVERSITY CAMPUS, GARDEN COTTAGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/06/2019 09:36