The churchyard at Logie Old Church contains some fine early memorials. It is enclosed by a boundary wall with two sets of entrance gates with archways on the southwest and northwest. Adjacent to the entrance at the southwest of the graveyard is a small, single storey former watch house.
In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM2798.
There are more than 350 gravestones in the churchyard dating from the 16th to the early 20th centuries, along with two 11th century hogback stones, which are scheduled and excluded from the listing. The earliest gravestones are located in the south section of the churchyard and are laid out in regular rows, and many of them have fine carvings. To the north are a series of burial enclosures and memorial stones, largely of 19th and early 20th century dates, laid out in less regular fashion. They include a stone for William York MacGregor, artist and co-founder of the Glasgow School, dated 1923.
The former watch house has a central door in the east elevation and chimney stack to the north. It is built of random rubble with a slate roof. The boundary wall is rubble built with squared coping and two archways with entrance gates.
Age and Rarity
Logie churchyard is depicted on Roy's map of 1747-52 and the watch house and enclosing walls of the churchyard are shown on the 1862 Ordnance Survey map. The churchyard contains some fine memorials dating from the 16th to the early 20th centuries. The earliest recorded stone was erected in 1598 in memory of James Kidstone and his wife Margaret Alexander. Many of the stones have fine quality carvings of symbols, including some with symbols representing trades. Two hogback stones of probable 11th century date lie within the eastern section of the churchyard. Together with the curving form of the churchyard they suggest that it originated as an ecclesiastical enclosure of early medieval date.
Graveyards are not rare and can be found in every significant settlement in Scotland. When considering such a prolific building type the date and the quality of the memorials, as well as the contribution of the graveyard to the setting of churches, adds interest to the graveyard in listing terms. The churchyard at Logie Old Church has a number of fine memorials of an early date, along with two 11th century hogback stones. There is also a stone in memoriam of William York MacGregor, a prominent artist and co-founder of the Glasgow School. These memorials all add significant interest to the setting of the scheduled Logie Old Church.
Architectural or Historic Interest
The interior space of the watch house is simple with a stone flagged floor and small fireplace.
The watch house is rectangular in plan, which is typical for this building type and date. The plan form has not been altered.
The boundary of the churchyard is curving in plan, a form that is suggestive of an origin as an early medieval ecclesiastical enclosure. In the section south of the church the memorials are laid out in regular rows. To the north are a series of burial enclosures and 19th century and early 20th century memorial stones, laid out more irregularly
Technological excellence or innovation, material or design quality
The design and craftsmanship of some of the headstones in the churchyard are of high quality. This includes the memorials from the late 17th century onwards, which have memento mori decorative symbols, images relating to death and mortality.
Churchyards and graveyards are often of historic interest because of the information they can show on the historical development and social history of an area. The churchyard at Logie Old Church has examples of very early and unusual memorials as well as memorials displaying trades symbols, which relate to the employment within the parish.
The churchyard makes a significant contribution to the setting of the scheduled church. It is on raised ground around the church and is enclosed by a boundary wall.
There are no known regional variations
Close Historical Associations
There are no known associations with a person or event of national importance at present (2017).
Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 47164 (accessed on 24/01/2017)
Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1862, published 1866) Perthshire, sheet CXXXIII (includes: Aloa, Alva and Logie) 6 inches to the Mile. 1st Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.
Roy, W. (1745-52) Military Maps of Scotland.
Hay, G. (1957) The architecture of Scottish post-reformation churches. 1560-1843. Clarendon Press.
Young, E. A. (2001) Logie Kirk: A history of the Kirk 2001. Erskine Print.
Young, E. A. (2016) Logie. The first 1000 years. Stirling.
Young, E. A. The Old Kirk and Kirkyard at Logie. A short history and guide. Erskine Print.
Gorman, M. (2017). An introduction to grave robbing in Scotland. [online] Background information on grave robbing in Scotland. Available at: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/bodysnatchers/background.php [Accessed 27 Mar. 2017].
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Printed: 24/01/2019 12:57