1817, for General John Fletcher-Campbell; some later alterations. Single-storey and attic, 7-bay, neo-classical steading range with octagonal-plan clock tower and attenuated copper dome to centre. Rendered rubble with rusticated pale sandstone ashlar dressings.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: ashlar round-arched entrance pend to centre with moulded pediment leading to square-plan courtyard. Pair of slightly advanced pavilions flanking with segmental-arched openings, piend-roofs and ball-and-spike finials.
N ELEVATION: pair of forestairs to left and right of entrance. Eight segmental-arched openings with quatrefoil-pierced iron grates at mid height. Timber loft door and timber doorway breaking eaves to left.
CLOCK TOWER: square-plan base supporting octagonal 4-faced clock tower, each face divided by a round-arch window; moulded cornice; tall metal dome with weather-vane finial at apex.
Round-arched, multi-paned timber sash and case windows to principal elevation; timber boarded loft openings. Pitched roof; grey slate. Cast iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: cast iron columns; concrete floor; ceramic wall tiles.
RANGES TO S: remodelled single and two-storey ranges extending to S, forming quadrangle around enclosed courtyard. Some traditional timber glazing.
Statement of Special Interest
A finely-proportioned classical steading with tall domed clock tower, prominently located at Boquhan Home Farm. The well-detailed and little altered central clock tower is a fine example of its type and indicates the high status of the farm and steading through it architectural and material quality. Its rusticated ashlar construction with its onion-shaped copper dome and moulded pediments all add to the architectural interest.
Boquhan Home Farm consists of 700 acres of low lying farm land situated near Gurgunnock a short distance W of Stirling. General John Fletcher-Campbell founded the Gargunnock Farmers Club in 1796 and did much to turn around the fortunes of the estate with successful animal husbandry, breeding and farm improvement.
Previously listed as 'Boquhan, Stables'. Statutory address and description updated, 2011.