Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 53084 85780
253084, 685780


Charles Rennie Mackintosh, 1906; completed by Alexander David Hyslop after 1908; interior restoration by H Karlin, 1983. Two-storey and attic with part basement, four-bay, stepped-plan, Elizabethan style house high up on sloping site. Cotswold stone, irregular snecked rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings. Tudor-arched doorcase with heavy hoodmould and undersized label stops. Horizontally-aligned windows; hoodmoulds; chamfered reveals and stone mullions.

South (entrance) Elevation: advanced gabled bay to left of centre with steps up to covered porch with narrow lights flanking Tudor-arched entrance with very deep-set segmental-headed timber door and ironwork gates, and seven-light window above. Further advanced higher gable to outer left with six-light window to ground and five-light window above, tripartite window in gablehead and broad shouldered stack on return to right. Bay to right of centre with two small windows flanking monumental chimney stack (almost crowstepped to right) with further small window to left at first floor and flat-roofed, canted eight-light stair window to right. Bay to outer right with (possibly later) single-storey projection with two small windows and bipartite window on return to right, and deep blocking course giving way to steeply piended roof adjoining blank gable with small gablehead stack.

North (Garden) Elevation: bay to left of centre deeply recessed with boarded timber door to centre, bipartite window to left and four-light window to right under advanced flat roof, two tripartite windows to first floor and massive chimney stack in re-entrant angle to left; flanking advanced gable bays enclosing small paved terrace, left gable with hoodmoulded six-light window to ground and five-light window above, slightly broader right gable similarly fenestrated but with further small light to outer right low down at first floor and bipartite window in gablehead, large stack on return to left. Taller and further recessed gable with raised basement to outer right, bipartite window to left at basement, tripartite window above, five-light window to centre at first floor and bipartite in gablehead.

East Elevation: simple two-bay elevation with flat-roofed canted nine-light drawing-room window and tiny window high up at first floor to outer right, and tripartite windows to each floor in bay to left.

West Elevation: raised basement to towering elevation with irregular fenestration to centre gable, blank bay with projecting full-height chimney stack (with tiny glazed opening) to left and lower gable to right with steps up to door with plate glass fanlight and diminutive piended dormer window behind. Low service buildings in re-entrant angle to left behind later paired, segmentally-arched garage openings in screen wall.

Multi-pane leaded glazing to casement windows with twelve-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows to west. Small grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with some cans. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

Interior: decorative scheme in place to principal rooms but not all original. Panelled hall with timbered ceiling and ingle (to south), brick lining to sides probably original. Dining Room (to west) panelled; fluted pilasters flanking fireplace with timber mantel shelf and panelled overmantel; broad panelled door (with Arts and Crafts style door furniture) to Morning Room with broad-beamed fireplace. Drawing (Sitting) Room (to northeast) with 1983 panelling and sympathetic modern ashlar and granite? fire recess. Book Room panelled with grey plaster, roll-moulded, Tudor-arched fireplace to apparent extension. Timber panelled dog-leg staircase with simple straight balusters and top-rail, small mezzanine and fireplace ingle.

Terraced Garden: stone balustrade and parapet to small terrace with steps down to altered formal garden.

Statement of Special Interest

Auchenibert house was built for Francis James Shand, the manager of the Nobel s Explosives Co. Ltd of Glasgow. Letters to Shand from Mackintosh confirm that he designed the house and correspondence from W. S. Moyes, a draughtsman working at Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh at this time, states that Mackintosh was the sole designer (Mackintosh Architecture).

Mackintosh is believed to have had a disagreement with Shand and a result left the project in 1908 before it was finished. Two years after the house was finished Shand employed another architect, Alexander David Hislop (1876-1966), to make alterations to the building including a single storey extension to the drawing room (Stirling Archives).

In 1998 the owners of the house reinstated a number of typical Mackintosh features including panelling to the Drawing (Sitting Room). The owners believed the original timber to have been removed to the cloakroom of the Buchanan Arms at Drymen (1998). The work by the owners in 1998 also revealed panelling covered with heavily painted wallpaper and a beamed chimney breast to the Morning Room. Earlier research has noted a number of Mackintosh features conspicuously absent, but some of these are now apparent. Both Windyhill (LB12450) and Hill House (LB34761) have Dining Rooms with dark stained panelling to picture rail level, this is in fact also the case at Auchenibert in both the Hall and the Drawing Room (carefully reinstated). Furthermore, Mackintosh was fond of grey plaster for fire surrounds and this material can be seen in the Book Room. This fire surround is housed in what appears to be an extension, and therefore may have been removed from elsewhere or brought in after Mackintosh's involvement.

Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) was born in Glasgow and is regarded internationally as one of the leading architects and designers of the 20th century. He became known as a pioneer of Modernism, although his architecture took much inspiration from Scottish Baronial and Scottish and English vernacular architectural forms and their reinterpretation. The synthesis of modern and traditional forms led to a distinctive form of Scottish arts and crafts design, known as the Glasgow Style. The Glasgow Style, developed in partnership with contemporaries Herbert McNair, and sisters Francis and Margaret Macdonald, Margaret becoming his wife in 1900, and is now synonymous with Mackintosh and the city of Glasgow.

Mackintosh's work is wide-ranging and includes public, educational and religious buildings to private houses, interior decorative schemes and sculptures. He is associated with over 150 design projects, ranging from principal designer to projects by the practice of John Honeyman & Keppie (from 1901 Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh). The most important work during this partnership was the Glasgow School of Art, built in two phases from 1897 and culminating in the outstanding library of 1907.

Auchenibert was designed following Mackintosh's most significant domestic commissions, Windyhill (1900-1902) in Kilmacolm (LB12450) and The Hill House (1902-1904) in Helensburgh (LB34761). The style of Auchenibert however, with its Tudor architectural features, differs greatly from these earlier commissions and is not typical of Mackintosh's work. The client Shand had a preference for English architectural styles and it is thought that this had a strong influence on the brief for the house (Stirling Archives).

Mackintosh left Glasgow in 1914, setting up practice in London the following year. Later he and Margaret moved to France, where until his death, his artistic output largely turned to textile design and watercolours.

Category of listing changed from B to A in 1999.

Listed building record revised in 2019.




Printed Sources

Brown, A (2018) Charles Rennie Mackintosh Making the Glasgow Style. Glasgow: Glasgow Museums.

Cooper, J. (editor) (1984) Mackintosh architecture: the complete buildings and selected projects. London: Academy.

Crawford, A (1995) Charles Rennie Mackintosh. London: Thomas and Hudson.

Howarth, T. (1977) Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Modern Movement. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd. pp.98-107.

Kaplan, W. (1996) Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Glasgow: Glasgow Museums; New York: Abbeville Press.

Neat, T. & McDermott, G. (2002) Closing The Circle Thomas Howarth, Mackintosh and the Modern Movement. Aberdour: Inyx publishing.

Robertson, P. (editor) (1990) Mackintosh: The Architectural Papers. Wendlebury: White Cockade Publishing.

Online Sources

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, (accessed 30/05/2019).

Mackintosh Architecture. M254 Auchinibert, Killearn at (accessed 17/12/2018).

Stirling Archives, (accessed 17/12/2018).

Other Information

Information courtesy of the owners (1999).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KILLEARN, AUCHENIBERT WITH TERRACED GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/06/2019 09:36