Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

Graveyard at Glencairn Parish Church, including walls and gatepiers, excluding graveyard extension to north and scheduled monument SM3139, Kirkland VillageLB10313

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
03/08/1971
Last Date Amended
16/05/2017
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Glencairn
NGR
NX 80906 90471
Coordinates
280906, 590471

Description

Quadrangular churchyard enclosed by rubble-built ashlar-coped walls: extended to west with iron railings probably circa 1836 to enclose new church. In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following is excluded from the listing: the graveyard extension to the north and scheduled monument SM3139.

Fine, classical Gillespie of Peelton mausoleum (circa 1814) with round-arched panel to each face (doorway to south) and swags; fluted pilasters at angles, urn finials and dome. Other monuments include tomb of Dr W R Munro with bronze medallion bust. 2 gates to south each with corniced square gatepiers with pyramidal caps; original gateway (at east) approached by flight of steps between 2 buildings.

Statement of Special Interest

Drawings of proposals for reconstruction of old church by J Wilson Paterson, 1928, in vestry of present church, along with a sketch showing the old church when still roofed. For 18th and 19th century work on church see SRO CH2/298.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following is excluded from the listing: the graveyard extension to the north and scheduled monument SM3139. Statutory address and listed building record revised in 2017 to exclude scheduled monument SM3139. Previously listed as 'Kirkland Village Glencairn Parish Churchyard including Gillespie of Peelton Monument'.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS INVENTORY OF DUMFRIES, 1920 nos 229-232

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

Graveyard, Glencairn Parish Church, Gillespie of Peelton Monument, looking south, during daytime, on a cloudy day.
Graveyard, Glencairn Parish Church, Gatepiers to east, looking south, during daytime, on a cloudy day.

Map

Map

Printed: 28/11/2022 05:45