Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CARNSALLOCH HOUSELB10300

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
29/05/1959
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Kirkmahoe
NGR
NX 97092 80300
Coordinates
297092, 580300

Description

Dated 1759 on north wing. Palladian mansion house; 2 storeys

on raised basement with flanking wings. All red ashlar.

House: 3-bay east elevation with early 19th century central

pilastered porch (panelled and studded door in pedimented

doorpiece), flanked by 12-pane sashes in architraves, latter

corniced, with pulvinated frieze; 3 Burlington windows in

round-arched panels at principal floor. Ionic-columned jambs

on plinths; latter probably terminated blind balustrades;

square, architraved windows above (6-pane sashes). Continuous

bands at base and at ground floor level; mutule cornice;

blocking course; 2 symmetrically placed stacks; piended

slate roof. Single window at each level of flanks;

linked by cornice); piended roofs, with graded slates. Low

alterations and fire escapes to rear above, narrow lean-to

service corridor linking wings. Piended, 2-storey wings each

have single bay east front (12-pane sashes), and are linked

to house by quadrant wall with corniced, architraved and

panelled door between alcove niches; inner part of north

wing is earlier. 18th century house, rendered, with advanced

inner bays (gabled on north elevation) and 5-bay south

front. Modern additions to north and to south of wings.

Interior: some decorative ceiling plasterwork of late 18th/

early 19th century, especially in halls and ground floor

rooms: plain top floor rooms. Modern lift shaft in stair

well obscures most of former anthemion-patterned silhouette

balusters. Some painted raised and fielded wooden panelling

survives in earlier house.

Statement of Special Interest

Now a home run by the Leonard Cheshire Organisation.

Built for Alexander Johnstone of Carnsalloch. He is

described in the sasines as a chemist in London, so it may

be that a London architect was employed, and perhaps Isaac

Ware, whose 1756 publication included design of a "House built

for Alexander Johnstone, Esq, in Scotland" (a more expensive

scheme which was probably never done) (see H Colvin,

BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS,

1600-1840, 1978, (p866)

References

Bibliography

SRO RHP 4417 (1911 sale catalogue). Scottish Field, April 1957.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CARNSALLOCH HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2019 18:50