Built circa 1785, additions and alterations circa 1920.
Symmetrical, originally severely classical, 3-storey mansion
house with sunk basement: polished red ashlar, channelled at
basement. Original house: 5-bay south elevation with
architraved windows corniced at ground, curved 5-light
window replaced original central porch, north elevation with
full-height central bow; west elevation: 5 narrower bays
with platt spanning basement area. Additions to east comprise full-height narrow bay set back at north and south with
windows in tall panels and projecting entrance bay set into
east facade with channelled pilaster strips, large round-
arched mullioned and transomed window over east-facing
Doric-columned and open-pedimented doorpiece: panelled 2-leaf
door in cavetto reveals. Mutule cornice to all elevations; partly-balustraded parapet; symmetrically placed stacks;
shallow-pitched piended slate roof.
Curved basement area to east enclosed by cast-iron
balustrade; tunnel at north east below main drive.
Statement of Special Interest
Built for Patrick Miller, inventor of steam navigation. A
print published 1792 in the Ewart Library, Dumfries shows the
house without the roof parapet, although early 20th century
postcards show the parapet to have been added before the
house was extended. The house, and some of the estate
buildings may be by Alexander Nasmyth who was a close friend
of Millar's; Nasmyth's son, Patrick, may have been called
after Millar (for more on this see NASMYTH EXHIBITION
CATALOGUE, St Andrews 1979 - copy in NMRS).