Dated 1816 with late 19th-century additions to E doubling its
1816 HOUSE: 2 storeys and basement double-bow fronted house
of squared rubble with polished raised margins and quoins.
Steps, with simple cast-iron balusters, oversailing basement
to Roman-Doric engaged column doorpiece. Semi-circular arched
doorway with pilastered reveals; double-leaf panelled doors
with glazed fanlight. All windows sash and case 12 or 8-pane
Raised polished band over basement and at eaves; moulded
eaves cornice. Sandstone block pediment over centre eaves
with oval tablet inscribed J.A.C. 1816. U-plan slate roofs.
Tall corniced end stacks, octagonal cans.
Rear elevation with full-height projecting semi-circular
stair tower with domed roof and glazed cupola.
LATE 19TH-CENTURY ADDITION; coursed rock-faced ashlar 2-bay
with 3-storey tower to left and full-height bow to right with
red sandstone dressings and margins. Tower with bipartite
windows. Mansard slate roof.
Single-storey kitchen court at W to basement level.
Statement of Special Interest
Formerly known as MaCartney and originally part of
Kilquhanity estate dissolved 1797. Bought by Maj James
Campbell (J.A.C.1816 on pediment) altered by his grandson
Thomas Walter Campbell (ex Galloway Lands and Owners).
Part of B group with Walton Park Stables and Walton Park