There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: B
- see notes
- Date Added: 20/06/1972
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Inch
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NX 6402 68772
- Coordinates: 206402, 568772
1701; later alterations include those by Alan Dickie 1820-4 and James Brown, 1826. Single storey and basement, 2-storey, attic and basement, and 3-storey and basement, 13-bay mansion house (grouped 3-2-3-2-3). Painted rubble.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to advanced, pilastered and corniced flat-roofed late 19th century entrance porch in recessed 3 central bays; 2-leaf timber door; armorial panel over inner timber glazed 2-leaf door; single windows aligned above at 1st and 2nd floor; flanking single windows at basement, ground, 1st and 2nd floors; louvred shutters to 1st floor windows; 5 tall merlons screen roof (2nd floor added 1820-4, specifications provided by Alan Dickie). Advanced 2-bay wings flanking; regular fenestration at basement, ground and 1st floors (projecting oriel window to right 1st floor window); single canted dormers to half-piended lean-to roofs (dormers late 19th century). Screen walls and balustrades link to service buildings (see below). Earlier 19th century, 3-bay single storey and basement wings (possibly by mason James Brown) to outer right and left.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: steps to central, square-headed entrance in recessed 3 central bays; stair window aligned above; flanking single windows at basement, ground, 1st and 2nd floors. Advanced wings flanking; single windows at ground and 1st floor to outer right of wing to right; blind wing to left. Deeply recessed single storey and basement wings to outer right and left; single window to wing to left, bipartite window to re-entrant angle to left; single window to wing to right (additional single window to advanced flat-roofed section, single window to right re-entrant angle, timber door to left re-entrant angle).
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof: stone skews; coped stacks; square cans to main house stacks.
INTERIOR: retains numerous original details including timberwork; cornices and fireplaces.
Statement of Special Interest
B Group with Walled Gardens, Pavilions and Rabbit House, and Ancillary Structures, Dovecot, Sundial, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls. Built for Colonel Agnew of Croach, the house offers an interesting sequence of developments as noted by John Gifford. Originally of two storeys with a basement and attic, Gifford questions whether the wings are original or replaced piended double-pitch roofs. The recessed 3-bay central section was heightened in 1820-4, and the outer wings perhaps date from improvements made by the mason James Brown in 1826.
J Ainslie's Wigton map, 1782 (evident); W McIlwraith THE VISITORS GUIDE TO WIGTOWNSHIRE (1875), p106; FH Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, Vol V (1892), p543; Sir AN Agnew WIGTOWNSHIRE: ILLUSTRATED GUIDE FOR VISITORS (1928), p44; AN INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND, Vol 2 (1987), pp73-74; John Gifford DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY (1996), p421-423.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.