There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 20/07/1972
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Glasserton
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NX 42121 38087
- Coordinates: 242121, 538087
17th century origin, largely rebuilt 1732 as rectangular box, N aisle and tower added 1836 by John Buonarotti Papworth. 17th century bellcote removed form Kirkmaiden Church (Glasserton Parish) to Glasserton in early 19th century. 1732 rectangular church on E-W axis with iasle and tower to N, 1836 giving T-plan. Original part shows signs of much rebuilding and alteration. Rubble walling, polished sandstone margins, later work has uniform red sandstone margins with bold tails.
S ELEVATION: symmetrical 4-window front with round-arched windows. Smaller windows to outer bays with 2 large (almost full-height) windows to inner bays, some sash and case all with small-pane glazing. Jambs mainly polished cream sandstone with segmental stones forming arch-heads, possibly later 18th century enlargements. To centre, large blocked round-arched opening original access to pulpit. At upper level flanking outer windows are blocked square headed openings, presumably earlier windows lighting galleries. A worn partly inscribed red sandstone block is re-used as prt of margin to westernmost window. E and W gables have 2 large round arched openings, that to E ground is glazed door. Single bay N aisle with round-arched openings, narrow rubble voussoirs. Sash and case windows with small-pane glazing. Bolection moulded eaves cornice, end skews with skewputts, good graded slate roofs. To W gable small 17th century stone bellcote, weathered date of 1680, originally from Kirkmaiden Church (see separate item). Square section with 4 colonettes at angles and cushion capitals supporting moulded cornice, ogival canopy and ball finial to E gable.
TOWER: dated 1836. Buttressed tower in 3 stages. Rubble with polished red sandstone margins, pointed-arch moulded doorway, 2nd stage with single blind, wide lancets, dwarf lancets to 3rd (blocked in brick). Embattled parapet; to angles, pinnacles rise from buttress set-offs below eaves level to tall crocketted finials.
INTERIOR: galleried to 3 sides with pulpit to centre of S wall.
SESSION HOUSE: single storey, L-plan building at church gate, comprised of wings of 2 dates. Whinstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Early 19th century wing (1-room) with door set in advanced bay, window on return elevation and to rear. Mid 19th century 2-room addition at right angles with door and window to each room, and now partly roofless. 1 window with diamond-pane glazing pattern. Grey graduated slates to both roofs, those to earlier wing large local slate, overhanging eaves. Coped end and 1 brick mutual gable stack.
CHURCHYARD: rubble walled churchyard containing many good 18th and 19th century gravestones. 2 large free-standing mausolea to SE of church and abutting it a rectangular burial site, circa 1595, now roofless, gables to N and S, built into N wall of which is mural monument to Lady Garlies dated 159?. Detached to the E is a classical mid 18th century rectangular-plan roofless enclosure, rubble with rusticated red sandstone quoins. To the N wall round-arched doorway with iron gate. Blind moulded panel over door. Eaves band, good cornice, ball finials at angles. Good pilastered aedicular mural monument to W exterior wall.
Statement of Special Interest
The Session House is currently in a poor condition. Repairs in progress to pointing and window replacements, 1993.
RCAHNS Inv 1 G Hay Architecture of Post-Reformation Churches (1957) pp78,289.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.