Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

DRUMMORE, MILL STREET, WYLIE'S MILL, WITH WATER-WHEELLB10089

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
16/03/1994
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Kirkmaiden
NGR
NX 13676 36707
Coordinates
213676, 536707

Description

Circa 1906, incorporating foundations of post 1848 building. 2-storey and basement former mill; full-height basement to N. Painted brick; painted rubble at basement to W elevation. Painted raised brick quoins and quoined margins. Shallow segmental lintels.

W (MILL STREET) ELEVATION: 9-bay (4-1-2-2). Door in 3rd bay from left and in 3rd bay from right at ground floor. Regular fenestration, except blank at 1st floor in bay to outer right. Band courses between floors. Small water-wheel to outer left at basement. Wall adjoined between 2nd and 3rd bays to left.

WATER-WHEEL: high breastshot wheel. Iron. Sheet metal brackets. 24-spoke.

N ELEVATION: M-gabled. Sheet-clad at ground and 1st floors. Wide machinery opening to right at basement. 2 windows at ground and 1st floors to both gables; central door at ground floor to right gable. Painted wall adjoined to right, terminated by pyramidal-capped rendered gatepier.

S ELEVATION: M-gabled and blank.

Purple slates. Coped skews to S.

Statement of Special Interest

The building is prominently sited at the foot of Mill Street. The former listing for "Wylie's Corn Mill" actually referred to Drummore Mill, which was situated midway up Mill Street, and was demolished in the 1970s. Donnachie and Hume date this building as mid 19th century, although it is not actually marked on the OS Map of 1848; it is marked on the OS Map of 1906, but it is not shaded in, indicating that it was possibly either in ruins or in process of being built. The rubble basement suggests that the foundations of the earlier building were used in the current build. The floors and cast-iron uprights are said to have come from a building used in an exhibition in

Glasgow about the turn of the 20th century. Although known as Wylie's Mill, the building has apparently always been used as a grain store; the water-wheel was used to power a grain bruiser and grain dresser. Wylie's Mill is named after a former owner.

References

Bibliography

OS Map 1850, Wigtownshire, Sheet 32 (surveyed 1848). J Butt THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND (1967) p317. I Donnachie THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF GALLOWAY (1971) p202. J R Hume THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND Vol I (1976) p266.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DRUMMORE, MILL STREET, WYLIE'S MILL, WITH WATER-WHEEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 17:29