Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

AUCHNESS, FARMHOUSE AND COTTAGELB10085

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/07/1972
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Kirkmaiden
NGR
NX 10679 44556
Coordinates
210679, 544556

Description

16th century tower house, with early 19th century wing adjoined to form farmhouse, and later 19th century porch and alterations; 18th century cottage, with later 19th century alterations, adjoined. 3-storey square-plan tower house; 2-storey gabled wing adjoined to S. Single storey cottage further adjoined to S. Harled. Painted margins to wing. Harled crowstepped gables. Harled crenellated pepperpot bartizans to SE, NE and NW angles of tower, each with cosmetic blind arrow slits.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: tower to right; lower wing adjoined to left; 2-storey crenellated porch advanced at centre.

TOWER: canted window in crenellated bay (later 19th century) advanced at centre at ground floor; painted double string course below crenellated parapet. Window to left of centre at 1st floor, and to right of centre at 2nd floor. Blind square panel at centre in gablehead. Porch adjoined to outer left.

PORCH: boarded door, with decorative iron hinges, to E; flanking narrow lights, with decorative coloured glass in upper sashes; window above at 1st floor. Window at 1st floor to N return; crenellated bay (see above) adjoined below at ground floor. Window at ground floor to S return. Painted string course between floors and below crenellated parapet.

WING: porch adjoined to right. Window to both floors to left.

N ELEVATION: window at centre at ground floor, and to right of centre at 1st floor. Small window to left at 2nd floor. Blind square panel to right at eaves.

W ELEVATION: tower blank above adjoining steading range. Kitchen included in steading range to E, with window to N. Short length of crenellated wall adjoined to right of tower at 2nd floor. W return of wing to right; very small window to left; broad rubble lean-to adjoined to wing to right, with door to left and window to right.

S ELEVATION: wing adjoined to tower. Window to left to both floors to S gable of wing. Cottage (see below) adjoined to S of lean-to on W return of wing.

Sash and case windows; mainly 12-pane glazing, some 2- and 4-pane glazing. Harled gablehead stacks; to tower to E and W, to wing to S. Modern tiles to S pitch of tower, purple slates to N pitch and to wing. Several octagonal cans.

COTTAGE: painted rubble.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: gabled bay at centre, with gable slightly raised above eaves; window at ground floor; glazed oculus in gablehead; ledge at eaves level, and bricked in gabled shape below oculus (former doocot?); base of former finial to gable. Canted projections to left and right; each with window to E and flanking blind side lights; catslide roofs from main pitch. Garden wall adjoined to left.

S ELEVATION: blank.

W ELEVATION: door, with letter-box fanlight, at centre. Window to left of centre. Machinery opening slapped to right.

N ELEVATION: adjoined to S of lean-to on W return of wing.

Sash and case windows; 2-pane upper sash and 4-pane lower sash glazing to E. 2 rubble ridge stacks, raised in brick, flanking centre. Purple slates to piended roof.

Painted brick crenellated garden wall to E. L-plan rubble steading to W, adjoined to W elevation of tower (see above).

Pair of square rubble piers, each surmounted by 4 red sandstone

square blocks, at road end. Curved rubble walls adjoined, linked to inner pair of squat circular conical-capped rubble piers.

Statement of Special Interest

The porch and canted window bay are not marked on the OS Map of 1847-48. Writing of Auchness Castle in 1896, Harper states that "in recent times, additions have been made so as to make it suitable as a dwelling for the tenant of the farm of Auchness". The tower house of Auchness is very similar to that at Killumpha (see separate listing).

References

Bibliography

OS Map 1850, Wigtownshire, Sheet 27 (surveyed 1847-48). F H Groome (ed) ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND Vol IV (1895) p431. M M Harper RAMBLES IN GALLOWAY (1896) p365. RCAHMS INVENTORY Wigtown (1912) p52.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to AUCHNESS, FARMHOUSE AND COTTAGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/11/2018 10:22