Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

CRAICHLAW HOUSELB10076

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 20/07/1972

Location

  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Kirkcowan

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NX 30636 61091
  • Coordinates: 230636, 561091

Description

16th century rectangular tower house largely rebuilt and adjoining to W a mildly Baronial mansion by Wardrop and Brown, 1864-6.

TOWER: 3 storeys and attic, rubble-built with chamfered angles (see also Castle Stewart, Penninghame Parish for this feature). 2 round-arched doorways, both 19th century insertions, that to W re-using part of the original roll-moulded jambs. Most openings have 19th century margins, chamfered or roll-moulded, the upper floors have been completely rebuilt in 1864 above the level of the ground floor barrel vault. Single storey, conical roofed bartizans to angles, square with embattled parapet and rooftop platform to SE angle. Crowstepped gables and end stacks.

1864 HOUSE: large asymmetrical 2-storey additions with lower service court to N. Main fronts to S and W. Coursed bull-faced grey rubble with polished contrasting sandstone ashlar margins, quoins and dressings.

E ELEVATION: gabled dormers.

S ELEVATION: long 6-bay front; gabled bays to 2nd, 4th and 6th bays (from left). 6th bay projecting gable end to E range. To 2nd, consoled ashlar balcony to 1st floor window. All single light windows.

W ELEVATION: asymmetrical 5-bay range with wider outer bays gabled and projecting, that to left larger with tripartile window to ground. To right bay, glazed door to ground set in ashlar masonry surround, corbelled canted 3-light oriel to 1st. Otherwise all single light windows. Inner bays have carved dormerheads to 1st floor windows with finials. Mostly single light windows, all sash and case with plate-glass glazing, to tower small pane glazing. Crowstepped gables with finials. Corniced axial stacks, good graded slate roofs; some tile.

HERALDIC STONES: to the exterior of the tower, a small rectangular panel bearing the arms and initials of ? William Gordon and ? his wife J C and dated 1644. Reset in the hall of the 19th century house is a more sophisticated and detailed coat of arms (for full description see RCAHMS Inventory 98) with decorative borders and carved masks.

SUNDIAL* TO W of house. Free-standing ashlar dial, on moulded pedestal, with gnomon.

INTERIOR: much good work, panelled doors and shutters etc original plasterwork, some good carved timber and stone chimneypieces in the high Victorian and Italianate manner.

Statement of Special Interest

References

Bibliography

INVENTORY 98. RCAHMS. Groome.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 30/08/2016 11:49