There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority
- Dumfries And Galloway
- NY 19328 74638
- 319328, 574638
Circa 1780-1800. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan classical house with substantial early 19th century off-set, 2-storey extension to rear forming double-pitched roof arrangement, set on prominent corner site in village. Long narrow late 18th century single storey rubble outbuilding range linked to rear, possibly remodelled in the early 19th century.
Painted and rendered rubble with painted red sandstone dressings. Rusticated quoins, stone cills, projecting cornice and scrolled skewputts to late 18th century range. Pilastered central doorpiece and flanking bipartite windows all under continuous corniced entablature, blocking course above doorway.
Predominantly 4-pane timber in sash and case windows. Pitched roofs, graded grey slates, raised straight skews, coped sandstone gable end stacks with circular clay cans.
The interior was seen in 2013. Internally the building retains much of its plan form with many architectural details extant, likely dating from early 19th century. Doric columns to main entrance, dogleg staircase to rear comprising a large round headed stair window with ogee tracery, fireplaces including range to former kitchen, cornices to former principal rooms, timber panelled doors, some timber panelling and working shutters to some windows.
Statement of Special Interest
Bramley House is an important example of a late 18th century domestic building, located in a central position within the village of Ecclefechan. The building has a significant streetscape presence and retains a number of distinctive original 18th and 19th century details.
The house was used for a time as The Post Office for the village and the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map (1898) marks the building in use as such. There is a void for a post-box which is evident on the east flank of the building. The symmetrical appearance of the building, and the scrolled skewputts and rusticated quoins, creates a strong and distinctive classical design. As noted by Gifford, the shop frontage may be a mid or later 19th century alteration to the property but its restrained classical arrangement is in keeping with the late 18th century classical proportion of the building.
There are two single storey ranges within the partially cobbled courtyard to the rear of the paired house. One range is adjoined to the house by the north, and the second to the east of the garden. The property is enclosed to the rear and west by a rubble sandstone wall forming the boundary of the property.
The village of Ecclefechan, known as the birthplace of Thomas Carlyle, is at the centre of the medieval parish of Hoddom. In the 18th century, weaving was the town's main economic activity and weekly markets were held. However this activity declined by 1815 and weaving abandoned by the 1870s as it was in competition with nearby Annan. Ecclefechan High Street has a number of late 18th and early 19th century houses, including Bramley House, which were built during a period of prosperity for the town.
Listed building record and statutory address updated (2014). Former statutory address: 'Ecclefechan Village, High Street, Old Post Office'.
Ordnance Survey. (1857) Dumfriesshire. 25 miles to the inch. 1st Ed. London: Ordnance Survey.
Ordnance Survey. (1898) Dumfriesshire. 25 miles to the inch. 2nd Ed. London: Ordnance Survey.
Gifford, J. (1996) The Buildings of Scotland: Dumfries and Galloway. London: Penguin Books. pp301-2.
Further information courtesy of owner (2013).
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BRAMLEY HOUSE (FORMER OLD POST OFFICE) HIGH STREET, ECCLEFECHAN VILLAGE
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 23/01/2019 15:30