Front (E) range early 20th century, but nucleus part of a
(?17th century) wing added to (now demolished) Old Hoddom
Castle; alterations 1795 (dated) and circa 1860. Essentially
2 rectangular-plan blocks in irregular double-pile. 2 storeys
harled, with red ashlar margins.
E BLOCK: E elevation 3 bays, bowed left bay, advanced
gabled inner entrance bya with dressings re-used from
original front including 1795 (dated on underside) door
lintel; 2 bays of long W block recessed right.
W BLOCK: W elevation 5 (2 + 3) bays. 2 bowed bays with
3-light windows probably 1795; latter raised and some
alterations circa 1860 including low gabled wing at NW: slit
opening (5" x 13") between bows and beneath stairs with
splayed inner reveals exposed and doorway opened alongside.
Small late 19th century wing at N. Sash windows. Straight
skews; corniced end stacks; slate roofs.
INTERIOR: renovated 1892-4. Large stone fireplace - plain
wide lintel on curved corbels - in central hall exposed 1982;
stone staircase; some cornice plasterwork; panelled doors in architraves.
Statement of Special Interest
Bowed bays compare with Park Farm, Dumfries. Some interesting
stones in garden including massive block checked for door
(presumably from Old Hoddom Castle), many cuboid ashlar
blocks (18" x 8" x 8") and 15" square blocks with shallow diamond-pointing.
Change of Category B to C(S) 4.10.88.