Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
NS 33829 17451
233829, 617451


Circa 1760; wing to SE, circa 1819; mid and late 19th century additions; remodelled Ronald Alexander, 1980. 3-storey and attic, 3-bay house with 5-bay wing to SE. Harled principal elevation and NE block; sandstone rubble and squared an snecked sandstone to remainder; raised polished margins. Dividing band courses; eaves course; dentil moulded cornice to main block; eaves blocking course to wing. V-jointed long and short quoins to main block, strip quoins to wing.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: remodelled 1980 revealing 1760 house; symmetrical; doorway to centre of ground floor, panelled timber door with fanlight, flanked by 2 narrow windows; 1980 Venetian window to centre of 1st floor above; pair of windows to flanking bays to left and right at ground floor; regular fenestration to remaining bays and floors; 2 canted dormers to attic floor.

SW ELEVATION: gabled; irregular fenestration; early 1819 wing advanced to outer right, central bowed bay with 3 windows regularly placed to each floor; left return blank.

SE ELEVATION: 1819 5-bay wing; symmetrical; flat-roofed pilastered sandstone ashlar porch reached by flight of steps to centre of 1st (principal) floor, 2-leaf glazed timber door, flanked and surmounted by leaded stained glass panels, doorway to ground floor of left return; tripartite window to 2nd floor above; regular fenestration to flanking bays to left and right.

NE ELEVATION: gabled; ground floor obscured by 19th century pedimented porch on Tuscan columns, decorative doorway reached by stone steps, with 2 datestones (1889 and 1902) either side of Kennedy coat of arms above, panelled timber door with glazed circular panel; coped quadrant wall with balustrading to outer right, chamfered round-arched opening flanked by square-plan pier with spherical finial, low balustraded wall flanking; irregular fenestration to upper floors of gable behind. 1819 wing advanced to outer left, central bowed bay with 3 windows regularly placed to each floor.

Predominantly 2-pane and 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs with lead ridges. Coped stone skews with ogee skewputts. Harled, corniced gablehead and wallhead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Doonholm Estate Stables and Sundial (see separate listings). What is now the Doonholm Estate was originally 2 smaller farms of Berriesden and Warlockholm, owned by the town of Ayr. In 1754 they were bought by James Neill at a public sale, who sold them to David Mitchell a year later. Dr William Fergusson, a retired physician bought the two farms and the 40 acres they came with from Mitchell in 1756 (two years later he also bought Mount Oliphant, see separate listing). Fergusson named the estate Doonholm, which was on the banks of the River Doon, and was responsible for building the house circa 1760. The estate remained in the Fergusson family until 1796 when John Hunter, who married the second daughter of Fergusson, bought it. Hunter increased the size of the house considerably by adding a substantial wing to the SE, with bowed end bays and a doorway in the centre. In the mid 19th century a further, Victorian, wing was added to the NW of the house, and in 1902 J Kennedy had the entrance moved to the NE. In 1980 Ronald Alexander remodelled the house for the family, removing the Victorian wing, and many of the later additions. The early 19th century wing was retained, as was the later porch to the NE. The Venetian window to the centre of the NW elevation was added at that time.



Andrew Armstrong's A New Map of Ayrshire, 1775 (evident); 1st (1860) and 2nd (1897) EDITION OS MAPS; THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, Vol 5, p4; NMRS, DRAWING OF DOONHOLM, AYRSHIRE, (1852); J Waterson, HISTORY OF THE COUNTIES OF AYR AND WIGTOWN, (1863), Vol 1, Kyle, Part 1, p142-146; F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, Vol 2 (1892), p361; J Strawhorn, "Ayrshire at the Time of Burns", AYRSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGY AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY, (1959), Vol 5, p288; Michael C Davis THE CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF AYRSHIRE (1991), pp37, 49-50, 135, 240-1; Rob Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), p155.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DOONHOLM ESTATE, DOONHOLM, INCLUDING WALL AND ARCHWAY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/04/2019 14:14