Importance of Site
A site included in the Inventory is assessed for its condition and integrity and for its level of importance. The criteria used are set out in Annex 5 of the Scottish Historic Environment Policy (December 2011). The principles are represented by the following value-based criteria and we have assigned a value for each on a scale ranging from outstanding value to no value. Criteria not applicable to a particular site have been omitted. All sites included in the Inventory are considered to be of national importance.
Work of Art
The layout of the formal garden and the wider designed landscape at Carberry Tower gives it outstanding value as a Work of Art.
Carberry Tower demonstrates several cycles of landscape development and its associations with Queen Mary and the Elphinstone family give it outstanding Historical value.
Horticultural, Arboricultural, Silvicultural
The wide range of specimen trees at Carberry gives it high Arboricultural value.
The designed landscape provides the setting for several interesting buildings, including the new Chapel, and it has outstanding Architectural value.
The policy woodlands screen the designed landscape from view from the surrounding area and they in themselves provide some Scenic value.
The woodlands and older parkland trees provide some value for Nature Conservation.
- Not Assessed
The formal landscape of the mid-19th century was redesigned in the early 19th century and laid out as parkland. It was completely redesigned in the late 19th century to its present structure. The formal gardens were laid out in 1911. There are no known design plans or landscape designers involved.
In the 13th century, the lands were owned by John de Crebarrie from whose name the estate probably derives its title. The lands were at one time Crown property and later passed to Dunfermline Abbey. In 1541 the Abbey authorities leased them to Hugh Rigg who built or enlarged the Tower.
In 1567, after the Battle of Pinkie, Queen Mary surrendered here on Carberry Hill now called Queen Mary's Mount. By 1587 the church lands were annexed to the Crown and the superiors became the Maitlands of Lauderdale. The Rigg families continued to lease Carberry until 1659 when it was passed to Sir Adam Blair. In 1689 it passed to Sir Robert Dickson of Inveresk who sold it to John Fullerton whose niece Elizabeth married in 1774 the Hon Wm Elphinstone, third son of the 10th Baron, whose son succeeded to the title.
The Elphinstones held Carberry from 1801-1961. Alterations and additions were made to the old Tower from c.1830. The 15th Baron succeeded in 1861 and was involved in political and court life. The park layout was entirely redesigned during his time and the arboretum started. His son, Sydney Herbert, the 16th Baron Elphinstone, married Lady Mary Bowes Lyon in 1910 and they carried out further improvements to the Tower and particularly to the grounds. The formal gardens to the south of the tower were laid out in 1911 and they added to the specimen trees and shrubs in the parks. The 16th Lord Elphinstone died in 1955 and Lady Elphinstone died in 1961 when the Tower and part of the estate were gifted by the family to the Church of Scotland. It is now managed as a residential conference centre, and an annexe and a chapel have been built in the grounds. The remaining part of the designed landscape has been sold in separate lots although fencing of the separate holdings is discouraged. The woodlands and most of the parkland are in the ownership of the Buccleuch Estates.
Carberry Tower, listed B, is a 16th century tower with two main storeys, a massive crenellated parapet, and there is an iron fire bucket. Improvements were made to the Tower in 1830 and, in 1861, David Bryce was commissioned to build the East Range. In 1909 further additions were made by Thomas Ross. The Stables, listed B, are mid- 19th century, probably by David Bryce, and are arranged around a quadrangle. The stables have a loft doocot and have been converted for residential and sports facilities. The Chapel was built in 1965 to the designs of Ian Lindsay & Partners and was given a Civic Trust Award in 1978.
The Main Gate and Lodge is Baronial in style, listed B, and is by David Bryce. There are also a large sawmill, a summerhouse near the curling pond, and several pieces of ornamentation within the formal and walled gardens. These include a sundial in the formal garden which has a 17th century polyhedral dial stone, and several urns and stone lions which decorate the walls. There were also many ornamental statues and an elaborate sundial in the walled garden which is now under separate ownership.
The parkland at Carberry is attractively planted with individual parkland trees and with clumps of mixed deciduous trees. There are some fine beech, oak, sycamore and horse chestnut in the park, mainly from 80-140 years old, and the view of the park east of the house is particularly important. The area around the house is kept as well- trimmed lawns, surrounding the many fine specimen trees; there are many varieties of daffodils planted in this area. Two main drives were put in in the late 19th century: one approaches from the Main Gate west of the house, while the south drive takes a more sweeping route through the south parks. The latter is used only as an estate road today. An ornamental curling pond was put in in the late 19th century, replacing the rectangular curling pond which existed in the west of the park. This has some drainage and siltation problems today but still forms a very attractive feature.
Almost half of the policies at Carberry were planted up as mixed amenity woodlands by the 15th Lord Elphinstone in the later half of the 19th century. Some of the older hardwoods have been felled and replacement planting has been undertaken. The boundary woodlands have been left for scenic reasons and to provide shelter for the new planting. The woodlands are managed from the nearby Dalkeith Estate.
This ornate, sunken garden lies immediately to the south of the house and its box- edged parterres are overlooked from the main rooms. It was put in for the 16th Lord and Lady Elphinstone shortly after their marriage in 1910. Originally the box-edged beds were infilled with coloured gravels; at a later stage with Polyanthus, Primulas, hyacinths and forget-me-nots; and today they are filled with roses. Early photographs show not only the ornate sundial which remains today but also a cherub statue at the west end, and a fountain. The fountain has gone but the pools remain as central features to the pattern.
The 1st edition OS map shows that a walled kitchen garden was built originally immediately adjacent to the Tower on its east side. This area was grassed down and a new garden built north of the stables probably between 1860 when the stables were added and 1870 when the Sequoia Avenue was planted, leading up to the new garden. The Gardeners' Chronicle of 1905 describes its layout at that time, with a considerable extent of glasshouses giving a wide range of fruit, and 'the Souvenir de la Malmaison Carnations are quite a feature of the place'. Vegetables were grown amongst herbaceous beds, surrounding well-trimmed lawns and gravel paths, with roses in abundance. A moon-gate led from one compartment of the garden, and outside the main garden was the 'flower-garden' laid out with irregularly shaped beds. Early photographs show several unusual small statues in this part of the garden. It was kept up as a vegetable and flower garden until c.1961. In recent years, it has been used as a turkey farm and is currently used for raising pheasant chicks.
Approximately 35 acres of land around the tower were planted with a great variety of interesting trees and shrubs. The 15th Lord Elphinstone was an 'ardent horticulturalist' and the 16th Baron and his wife were also keen plantsmen. Alan Mitchell has measured over a hundred interesting trees here in 1985, not including all of the fine trees in the Sequoia Avenue which was planted in the 1870s and leads up to the walled garden. Originally fifty trees were planted in two rows to form this avenue and it is an impressive sight today although currently fenced off as a horse paddock. There are too many fine trees to list individually; one of the most striking is an old copper beech near the tower, and younger specimens include Metasequoia glyptostroboides, Cercidiphyllum japonicum, Nothofagus dombeyi, Liriodendron tulipifera and several species of Acer and Sorbus.
The variety of the colour and texture of these trees is striking and is highlighted by the profusion of shrubs, including many fine Rhododendrons and Azaleas. These are planted all along the walk to the curling pond. In 1984, several more specimen trees were planted and recorded.