Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

NORTH QUEENSFERRY, BROCK STREET, WHINNEY KNOWE, NORTH QUEENSFERRY PRIMARY SCHOOL INCLUDING NURSERY AND KITCHEN BLOCK, PLAYSHEDS, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, AND RAILINGSLB49038

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
19/12/2002
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Inverkeithing
NGR
NT 13111 80779
Coordinates
313111, 680779

Description

Andrew Scobie and Son, 1912-14. 2-storey butterfly-plan school; modern single storey flat-roofed extensions to N and W corridors. Coursed and squared red sandstone to front; render to sides and rear (sides and assembly hall painted red); ashlar dressings; raised margins; ashlar cill courses; painted stone cills to rear. Bellcast roofs; overhanging bracketed eaves; stylised timber ventilators to central block and to assembly hall.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central advanced symmetrical 3-bay block with slightly advanced pavilion end-blocks to N and W connected by 2 lower entrance blocks with asymmetrical fenestration. Central gable-ended advanced block: 3 large ground floor windows (window to centre segmental-arched and keystoned); 3 1st floor windows above (window to centre slightly higher with keystone and open segmental pediment and blank raised square cartouche above; timber ventilator with open segmental-arched and keystoned side panels, finial; sunk basement door to boiler room to right return. 1st floor window to left return. Lower asymmetrical boys entrance block to right: central railed stair leading to 2-leaf timber door; splayed segmentally arched and keystoned porch, moulded cornice and entablature, broad course with central raised letters 'BOYS'; bipartite piended dormer window above breaking eaves. 4-light canted window to left at ground floor at angle, small window to left; 1st floor flat-roofed dormer window above breaking eaves. Slightly advanced 3-bay end-block to right: 3 large ground floor windows (window to centre segmental-arched and keystoned); 3 1st floor windows centred above (window to centre higher, with piended dormer breaking eaves). Girls blocks to left of central block near identical to those to right.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: central polygonal piended and buttressed single storey canted rectangular-plan hall projecting NW with 6 large windows breaking overhanging bellcast eaves to left and right; bipartite window to far NW end; timber ventilator with open side panels, finial. Hall flanked by 2-leaf timber boarded doors with multi-paned fanlights leading to 2-storey advanced flat-roofed corridor run adjoining rear of rear facing classroom blocks with regular window fenestration. Single storey flat-roofed extension to corridors at N and W ends forming lavatories and storage space. 1st floor breaking eaves window to N end pavilion block.

24-, 20-, 16-, 12-, 8-pane timber sash and case windows with horns. Pitched and piended bellcast roofs; grey slates; raised flat-headed skews to central advanced block; coped ashlar ridge stacks to connecting entrance blocks.

INTERIOR: cream faience tiles with green coloured banding to dado height along ground and 1st floor corridors and stairs; pine dado rails. Scrolled consoles to archways; dentilled cornice to corridors; stone staircases; original coat hooks to cloak room. Plate glass fronted classroom key box. Original chalkboards with architraves to classrooms; tongue and groove wainscoting. Hammerbeam roof with arched base and moulded ashlar corbels to assembly hall (false ceiling in place); 2, 2-leaf glazed doors with multi-paned fan lights flanking large square margin-paned window opening onto inner corridor.

NURSERY and KITCHEN BLOCKS: 2 adjoining piended single storey 5-bay rectangular-plan blocks, piended ventilators. Predominantly 9-pane timber windows. Grey slates; bracketed overhanging eaves.

PLAYSHEDS: 2 pitched and piended rectangular-plan open sheds with cast-iron Doric columns to front (shed to W truncated); door opening to gable end. Rendered with painted ashlar dressings; grey slates.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS and RAILINGS: low coped coursed boundary walls; original railings to S with pierced floral design (replacement railings to E). Red sandstone ashlar square-plan gatepiers to S and E, raised panels, dentilled and moulded bellcast caps; cast-iron gates with pierced floral design. Higher coped random rubble wall to N with yellow sandstone square-plan coped gatepiers.

Statement of Special Interest

This building reflects the new thinking in school design shortly after the turn of the century when Scottish School Boards turned to the Open Air School concept originated by the Germans circa 1904. According to the new principals, modified by the Scottish climate, school buildings were to be of single classroom width with large windows facing S. The form and plan of the North Queensferry Primary School adheres closely to these tenets. This school has been little altered since it was first built and its original interior fixtures and fittings are almost completely intact.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey map (1920). J Gifford, FIFE: THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND (1988) p339. W M Stephen, FABRIC AND FUNCTION: A CENTURY OF SCHOOL BUILDING IN EDINBURGH 1872-1972 (1996).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NORTH QUEENSFERRY, BROCK STREET, WHINNEY KNOWE, NORTH QUEENSFERRY PRIMARY SCHOOL INCLUDING NURSERY AND KITCHEN BLOCK, PLAYSHEDS, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 09/08/2022 08:38