Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NG 71883 45692
171883, 845692


Circa 1730-40 with some mid-late 19th century additions and

alterations. 3-storey and attic, double pile house of 5 bays; contemporary or near contemporary single storey and attic

flanking wings at right angles to east and west gables,

extending north to form U-plan entrance court. All harled

with contrasting painted ashlar margins; all 18th century

reveals have simple chamfers. Symmetrical north and south

elevations to main house with outer windows set in pairs.

Entrance in centre, ground floor of north elevation, masked

by small projecting square porch; tripartite window in centre

2nd floor. South elevation has later 19th century large

single storey porch projecting from centre front, with

entrances, each with wide lights, in east, west and south

sides and with deep over-hanging eaves supported on slender

cast-iron columns, with decorative cast-iron railing to roof

balcony and re-set triangular datestone of 1675 over

corniced south door. From this porch flight of steps rise to

join stairwell, entrance having been slapped in central stair

window lighting stairwell half landing. Unaltered stair

window above. Mid-later 19th century additions also include

elongation of flanking courtyard wings, and single storey

extensions to NE, piended dormers in north and in single

storey wings, 3 late 19th century bargeboarded dormers in

south. 12-pane glazing; crowsteps; original 18th century

moulded chimney copes to end and ridge stacks; slate roofs.

Interior; later 19th century interior fittings with original

room plan; late 19th century staircase with turned wooden

balustrade; later 19th century cast-iron chimney pieces in

1st floor dining and drawing rooms.

Statement of Special Interest

Double pile plan similar to Flowerdale (1738, Gairloch) and

other 18th century West Coast 18th century "Laird's Houses".

Siting of stairwell & half landing windows in south elevation

and entrance in rear resembles. Udrigle House, 1745, also

Gairloch Parish. Applecross House belonged to Mackenzies of

Applecross until mid 19th century, when sold to Lord




Sir George Stuart Mackenzie, A GENERAL VIEW OF THE COUNTIES



SCOTLAND, i, (1846) pp 54-55 Groomes GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND,

i, 1882 p.55.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to APPLECROSS HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2024 07:56