The monument comprises a medieval church and the burial ground enclosing it. The church is in the care of the Secretary of State for Scotland and is being re-scheduled to extend and clarify the extent of the protected area.
The monument lies at around 20m OD. St Clement's Church was built in the early part of the 16th century by Alexander Macleod of Harris and Dunvegan, whose superbly carved tomb, dated 1528 with tomb chest, recumbent effigy and highly decorated arcosolium, occupies a prestigious position on the south side of the choir.
The tomb of his son William, dated 1539, lies on the south side of the nave and another, possibly that of John MacLeod of Minginish (died 1557), lies in the S transept. The church also contains a number of late and post-medieval graveslabs and the head of a free-standing cross.
Although altered at the Reformation and restored on a number of occasions, most notably in 1784 and 1873, the building is essentially of one period. It is cruciform in plan, with a tower at the west end and chapels occupying the two transepts. It measures about 23m E-W by some 19m across the N and S transepts. The church lies within a burial ground, which contains several 18th-century burial enclosures and is defined by a stone wall.
The area proposed for scheduling comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related material may be expected to be found. It is irregular with maximum dimensions of 85m from its northernmost point to its southernmost point and 77m from its easternmost point to its westernmost point, defined by the outer face of the stone wall enclosing the burial ground, as marked in red on the accompanying map extract. All lairs with existing burial rights are excluded from scheduling.