The monument comprises the rectangular collegiate church of Innerpeffray, together with the surrounding graveyard.
The church was a collegiate foundation of 1508 by Sir John Drummond. Apart from a sacristy off its N flank (now gone) it was a simple rectangle in plan, lit almost entirely by windows in its S flank.
Within the simple plan, however, was a series of subdivisions. Near
the mid-point was the main screen separating collegiate church from nave, with a loft carried on corbels. These corbels survive, along
with the low windows which lit the altars in front of the screen; the loft was lit by an upper window, which was apparently externally expressed as a dormer. Towards the W end of the church an arch
defined a narrow vestibule, within the upper part of which is now a post-Reformation laird's loft with a painted soffit. The base of the high altar also survives. The church continued for family burials,
and later to house the library founded by Lord Madderty in 1691.
The area to be scheduled consists of the entire graveyard, including
the church, except for its NW corner, where the 18th-century building which houses the library is excluded. This area measures a maximum of 48m by 38m, and is aligned just NW-SE of true N-S, as marked in red
on the accompanying map.