The monument to be scheduled comprises Ormiclate (or Ormaclett, Ormacleit) Castle. This was built in 1701 as the residence of Ailean, chief of Clan Ranald. It was burnt out in 1715 and never rebuilt.
The building is unfortified and consists of a two-storey house with an attic, T-shaped in plan. The main block measures overall some 21 by 7.6m, and the wing 6.4 by 6.1m, projecting south-eastwards. The main block is divided internally into two unequal parts, the larger of which had probably been further subdivided by timber partitions and provided with a stair.
The masonry is harled rubble, with freestone dressings. The gables are steeply pitched. The upper windows have splayed jambs and lintels with slightly curved soffits. The position of the entrance is represented by a wide gap in the north wall, above which is an armorial panel.
The building faces north-west on to a courtyard, which is enclosed on the south-west by an earlier range containing a kitchen. The masonry is of harled rubble with dressings of freestone.
The area to be scheduled is T-shaped, measuring overall about 24m WSW-ESE by 17m transversely, and includes the remains of the house as described together with a zone extending about 2m from its outer wall-face, but excluding the building that abuts its west corner and other abutting structures as shown in red on the accompanying map.