The monument comprises the site of a medieval castle within concentric ditches, visible as a cropmark on vertical aerial photographs. The castle itself is no longer visible but is known from documentary evidence.
The monument lies in arable farmland at around 15m OD and is located on the top edge of a steep incline down towards the sea. It comprises a series of three concentric ditches each up to 3m wide, enclosing a semi-circular shaped area which lies on either side of a modern field boundary. The only visible break in the ditches coincides with the modern boundary and is unlikely to represent an entrance.
The remains of another semi-circular feature, about 25m in diameter, are visible within the enclosed area. This cropmark is fainter than the ditches, suggesting that it may represent a less substantial feature such as a palisaded enclosure. Overall, the monument has maximum measurements of about 85m NW-SE by about 40m wide NE-SW.
The castle is known from documentary sources. In 1836 the Reverend George Wright noted: 'the form of a moat is still discernible immediately above the sea-beach ... where what was called the castle of Kingsbarns once stood. The remains of its foundations, composed of large and mossy stones, regularly laid, were a few years ago removed by the present tenant'.
In 1845 it was reported that the moat was still visible and the site of the castle is shown as a circular ditched enclosure on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1855. It is very likely that archaeological traces of the castle survive below ground within the ditches, and possibly to the NE on the upper part of the steep incline.
The area proposed for scheduling comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related material may be expected to be found, together with the upper part of the steep incline to the NE. The area is approximately semi-circular in shape with maximum dimensions of 95m NW-SE by 70m NE-SW, as marked in red on the accompanying map extract.