The monument comprises the remains of a castle of 16th-century date, an early 18th-century lodge, and later structures surviving in a ruinous condition.
The castle lies immediately N of the Garleton Hills, on relatively low, slightly sloping ground at around 100m OD. It lies S of the modern farm of East Garleton and its ruined courtyard is partially occupied by a series of modern farm cottages.
The castle appears originally to have comprised a rectangular courtyard some 40m ESE by 30m with a house built into its NE corner. It is thought to have been built by Seton of Garleton and was passed to the Wemyss Estate in 1724. The main block of the house measures approximately 18m in length with a wing some 13m long projecting to the S.
Only the N and E walls of the house remain substantially intact, to around 10m high, although the W gable, internal partitions, fireplaces and 1st and 2nd floor windows can still be identified. Three vaulted, rubble-filled cellars project slightly from the N wall at ground level. A series of splayed gunloops are indicative of a 16th century date. Adjoining the wing are the remains of a circular tower some 7m in diameter which appears to be contemporary with the house.
Two lodges are set at the W ends of the N and S walls of the courtyard. The N lodge is relatively recent and incorporates gunloops from the earlier structures as a decorative motif. The S lodge, however, dates from the early eighteenth century and survives as a storehouse, with roof intact. It is two storeys high with two vaulted chambers at ground level.
The area to be scheduled encompasses the castle and an area around it in which traces of associated activity may be expected to survive. It excludes the presently occupied dwellings which include the N lodge. The area is irregular in shape with maximum dimensions of 40m ENE-WSW by 60m as marked in red on the accompanying map.