The monument consists of the ground floor of a tower, originally part of the defences of the 13th-century castle of Auchterhouse which consisted of a central keep with enclosing walls protected by strong towers. The lower storey of the old keep has been incorporated in a 17th/18th century mansion and the enclosing walls have been
The monument is called Wallace Tower, after Sir William Wallace who visited in 1303. The rectangular chamber has had a barrel vault running from E-W, the springing of which can be seen along the N wall. The tower measures 13m N-S by 13m E-W over walls 2.8m thick. The walls are constructed in random coursed rubble, both the N and W walls standing to a height of c.3.7m, but the S and most of the E wall reduced to under 1.5m. Sections of masonry projecting S and W from the W wall indicate where the enclosing walls abutted against the tower. The entrance with part of a moulded doorcase is in the W wall adjoining the N wall, and to its S is a small square opening. A rectangular well lies in the SE corner. A small rectangular window with a large interior round-headed opening and splayed jambs pierces the N wall. Faint traces of a large opening can be seen in the E wall.
The area to be scheduled is rectilinear, extending 1m from the exterior walls of the tower, and measuring a maximum of 14m N-S by 14m E-W, but excluding a modern heating fuel tank, as shown in red on the accompanying map.