This site consists of a prehistoric settlement which is overlain to
the W by a post medieval settlement. The prehistoric site is on 2
main levels on the SE flank of a rise protected on the S by the gorge
of the Achorn Burn. The site is difficult to interpret, but appears
to consist of at least 4 hut circles from 10 to 12m in diameter and
an oblong structure. The settlement has been robbed of stone,
probably to build the sheepfold and post medieval settlement
immediately to the W. The walls are generally reduced to a scatter of turf-covered rubble stone. A number of 'box-like' compartments formed
of slabs on edge occur within the walls of the houses. The post
medieval settlement contains several phases of occupation including a long house with a later house built over the top. The long house was
at least 36 by 5m and appears to have had 5 rooms. The later house is about 15 by 5m and has 2 rooms. The walls of this house survive to
the gable, but the roof has fallen. The walls are partly mortared and partly dry-stone built and the date 1832 is carved to the left of the doorway. Traces of another rectangular building are visible between
this building and a circular sheepfold to the E and there is a second rectangular sheepfold to the WSW of the house.
The area to be scheduled measures 230m WSW-ENE by a maximum of 75m NNW-SSE, to include the prehistoric and post medieval settlements, as shown in red on the attached map.