Scheduled Monument

St Helen's Church, church & hog-backed monumentsSM382

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

Summary

Date Added
17/03/1936
Last Date Amended
26/01/2000
Type
Crosses and carved stones: tombstone, Ecclesiastical: church
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Cockburnspath
NGR
NT 80376 70666
Coordinates
380376, 670666

Description

The monument consists of the remains of St Helen's Church, its kirkyard and associated funerary monuments. The monument was first scheduled in 1936. On this occasion, an inadequate area was included to protect all of the archaeological remains: the present rescheduling rectifies this.

The remains of the church consist of a nave measuring 10.6m by 5.3m and a chancel measuring 4.7m by 3.4m. The E and S walls of the chancel only survive at ground level, but the N wall still stands 3-4m high. Parts of the N and S walls of the nave stand 1-2m in height. At the W end of the N and S walls, rough openings may indicate the position of two entrance doorways. The S wall also contains the remains of two arched recesses, which were perhaps tomb recesses. The W gable is almost complete to its wall head. The whole church was roofed with a barrel vault, of which only a few indications now remain.

The church largely dates to the 12th century with some alterations dating to the 15th century. The east gable, demolished in the mid-19th century, contained a narrow round-headed window with a deep and wide internal splay, with a single chevron detail around the arch and jambs. A round-headed chancel arch of two plain orders also existed. The west gable, the most complete wall of the structure, has angle buttresses, suggesting that this element of the structure was rebuilt in the 15th century. The wall has no openings but the interior of the gable has numerous putlog holes for supporting the scaffolding used during its construction. The barrel-vault over the nave may relate to this later building phase. The wall also contains a number of 12th century masonry fragments with chevron decoration.

The kirkyard contains a number of funerary monuments, most of which have been piled up at the S side of the church. Of particular importance are two fragments of a hogbacked stone and an intact hogbacked stone. The intact hogbacked stone has one side divided into three panels each containing a beast, while the other side is extremely worn, with only three rows of tegulae. The second fragmentary hogback is similarly decorated; on one side, there are carvings of beasts, while the other has rows of semicircular tegulae. Both are generally believed to date from the 11th century

The area to be scheduled includes the church, the kirkyard and its associated funerary remains. The area is five-sided and measures 65m from its easternmost to its westernmost points, and 65m from its northernmost to southernmost points, as marked in red on the attached map.

Statement of National Importance

The monument is of national importance as an example of a 12th century parish church which continued in use until the late 17th century: as such it has great potential to contribute towards an understanding of medieval art, architecture, religious practices and material culture. Its importance is enhanced by the 11th century funerary monuments within the kirkyard which suggests that the 12th century church may have replaced an earlier structure.

References

Bibliography

The monument is recorded in the RCHAMS as NT 87 SW 1.01

Bibliography:

Lang, J T (1975) 'Hogback monuments in Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, 105, 1972'4, 231.

Muir, T S (1862) 'Notice of the ancient church of St. Helen at Aldcambus, and of fragments apparently of a monastic building at Luffness', Proc. Soc. Antiq. Scot., 3, 1857'60.

RCAHMS (1915) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Sixth report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Berwick, Edinburgh, 24'5, No. 46.

RCAHMS (1980) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Berwickshire District, Borders Region, The archaeological sites and monuments of Scotland series no 10, Edinburgh, 50, No. 442.

Reid, A (1914) 'The churches and churchyard memorials of St Helens on The Lea and Cockburnspath', Proc. Soc. Antiq. Scot., 48, 1913-14, 210'22.

About Scheduled Monuments

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Scheduling is the way that a monument or archaeological site of national importance is recognised by law through the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.

We schedule sites and monuments of national importance using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The description and map showing the scheduled area is the legal part of the scheduling. The additional information in the scheduled monument record gives an indication of the national importance of the monument(s). It is not a definitive account or a complete description of the monument(s). The format of scheduled monument records has changed over time. Earlier records will usually be brief and some information will not have been recorded. Scheduled monument consent is required to carry out certain work, including repairs, to scheduled monuments. Applications for scheduled monument consent are made to us. We are happy to discuss your proposals with you before you apply and we do not charge for advice or consent. More information about consent and how to apply for it can be found on our website at www.historicenvironment.scot.

Find out more about scheduling and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to St Helen's Church, church & hog-backed monuments

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 12/11/2018 19:50