The monument consists of a large fort and a settlement, both of the Iron Age, about 1500 to 2500 years old, which is scheduled. The fort is probably two-period, at least, with an earlier large fort enclosed by two or three ramparts surviving as low mounds and a later small fort on the summit. The later fort is defended by a stone wall
2 to 3m thick. Within the interior of the later fort are three circular houses, the largest 14m in diameter. Both the large and small forts are naturally protected on the N side by sheer cliffs. The large fort measures 220m E-W by 145m overall.
Immediately to the E of the fort is a homestead consisting of a rectilinear enclosure with a round house within it abutting the W bank. The homestead was partly excavated in 1947. Abutting the SW angle of the enclosure bank of the homestead is a platform for a circular house hitherto unrecognised. The platform, possibly associated with the fort rather than the homestead, measures about 12m in diameter.
The current scheduled area is not large enough to include all of the larger fort. The area now to be scheduled includes the forts and the homestead and an area around them within which traces of activity associated with their use will be found. It broadly respects the shape of the monument and measures 260m E-W by 170m transversely, as marked in red on the attached map.