Scheduled Monument

Dingwall Churchyard,symbol stoneSM1677

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

The legal document available for download below constitutes the formal designation of the monument under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979. The additional details provided on this page are provided for information purposes only and do not form part of the designation. Historic Environment Scotland accepts no liability for any loss or damages arising from reliance on any inaccuracies within this additional information.

Summary

Date Added
31/05/1925
Last Date Amended
16/01/1996
Type
Crosses and carved stones: symbol stone, Ecclesiastical: burial ground, cemetery, graveyard
Local Authority
Highland
Parish
Dingwall
NGR
NH 54943 58947
Coordinates
254943, 858947

Description

The monument consists of a stone bearing cup marks and Pictish symbols, which was identified in 1880 and re-erected close to the entrance to the churchyard. On J Romilly Allen's categorisation, it is a Class I stone.

The stone bears symbols on both faces. The E-facing side is carved with a crescent and V-rod below 3 small circles. The W-facing side (referred to as the front in the published accounts) bears, from the top, a double-disc and Z-rod (the top of which is missing), and 2 crescent and V-rod symbols (the upper one of which is worn). The left-hand edge of the lower crescent and V-rod on the front, and the right-hand edge of that on the other face, are both missing, suggesting that the stone has been reduced in width at some date. There are 6 cup-marks on the stone, all on the E-facing side.

The stone is of mica schist, standing 1.3m high by 0.5m wide by 0.2m thick. The carvings were identified in 1880, at which date the slab formed a lintel in the parish church built in 1801. After it had been identified as a Pictish symbol stone, it was removed and set in a new base in the churchyard. Its history prior to 1801 is unknown, but in many cases Pictish symbol stones are associated with pre-Reformation churches and burial grounds, of which this is an example. The burial ground at Dingwall was attached to the important medieval parish church here.

The area to be scheduled is a circle 2m in diameter, centred on the stone but excluding the surface of the modern path. This is indicated in red on the accompanying map. It includes the symbol stone and a small portion of the burial ground.

Statement of National Importance

The monument is of national importance as a Class I Pictish Symbol Stone which also bears prehistoric carvings, sited in a burial ground of pre-Reformation origins. It can provide evidence for sculptural techniques in prehistoric and early historic Scotland, for burial customs in medieval and post-medieval Scotland, and for the purpose and meaning of these enigmatic Pictish sculptures.

References

Bibliography

The monument is recorded in the RCAHMS as NH 55 NW 7.

References:

Allen, J. R. (1903) Early Christian Monuments of Scotland, 56-'7.

RCAHMS (1979), List of Archaeological Sites and Monuments: Easter Ross, 26.

About Scheduled Monuments

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Scheduling is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for monuments and archaeological sites of national importance as set out in the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.

We schedule sites and monuments that are found to be of national importance using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Scheduled monument records provide an indication of the national importance of the scheduled monument which has been identified by the description and map. The description and map (see ‘legal documents’ above) showing the scheduled area is the designation of the monument under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979. The statement of national importance and additional information provided are supplementary and provided for general information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland accepts no liability for any loss or damages arising from reliance on any inaccuracies within the statement of national importance or additional information. These records are not definitive historical or archaeological accounts or a complete description of the monument(s).

The format of scheduled monument records has changed over time. Earlier records will usually be brief. Some information will not have been recorded and the map will not be to current standards. Even if what is described and what is mapped has changed, the monument is still scheduled.

Scheduled monument consent is required to carry out certain work, including repairs, to scheduled monuments. Applications for scheduled monument consent are made to us. We are happy to discuss your proposals with you before you apply and we do not charge for advice or consent. More information about consent and how to apply for it can be found on our website at www.historicenvironment.scot.

Find out more about scheduling and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Dingwall Churchyard,symbol stone

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 01/11/2020 00:17