Scheduled Monument

Minnigaff, Old ChurchSM1107

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

Summary

Date Added
31/01/1926
Last Date Amended
18/08/1999
Type
Ecclesiastical: burial avile/vault; church
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Minnigaff
NGR
NX 41014 66559
Coordinates
241014, 566559

Description

The monument consists of the shell of a single-aisled church. A church is mentioned on this site in 1209, although the remains of the present church mostly date from the seventeenth century, with some late medieval elements incorporated into the fabric. The building was abandoned in 1836 and has been used as a burial aisle since. The monument was first scheduled in 1926, and included two 11th century cross slabs. These cross slabs have since been removed: the present rescheduling amends the schedule to take this into account.

The church is rectangular, measuring 22.4m long and 6.6m wide internally. The walls are about 1m thick and constructed in random rubble. There is a round-headed door at the E end below a twin light lancet window, which are probably the only medieval windows remaining in the church. There is a stone on the outside of the E wall bearing the date '1706'. This date stone may relate to the refurbishment or alteration of the church. The W gable has a square headed door below a square headed window. All the walls stand to virtually their full height. The W gable is crowned with a crude ball-finialled birdcage bellcote. The S wall is pierced by five windows with a very narrow door half way down its length which is approached by several steps from the interior. The N wall is of similar appearance though without the steps . At the E end of the N wall there is an arched recess built to house a tomb. Above this are inserted fragments of a seventeenth century heraldic carving with a coat of arms and Latin inscription commemorating Patrick McKie of Cumloden. The aforementioned cross slabs, apparently head stones of 11th-century date, had stood a few feet out from the wall in the NE corner of the church in this recess, before they were removed.

The area to be scheduled includes the walls of the church. It also includes the land within 1m of the walls, but excludes any gravestones there. To the E the scheduled area extends to the top of the slope down to the Penkiln Burn. The area within the walls is included excepting those areas where burial rights still exist. The area is rectangular measuring 28m E-W by 11m, as shown in red on the accompanying map.

Statement of National Importance

This monument is of national importance because it demonstrates the transition in ecclesiastical architecture brought about by the reformation. The church has potential to provide important information on the nature of Medieval Christianity, and the nature of the transformation to the reformed Protestant Church. The stair rising to the narrow door in the N wall is probably part of the arrangements for the kirk pulpit. A church is recorded on this site in 1209, when it may have been associated with the nearby motte. Despite the fact that the church has been used as a burial aisle there remains the potential for undisturbed areas of archaeology.

References

Bibliography

The monument is recorded by RCAHMS as NX 46 NW 7.

Bibliography:

Gifford, J (1996) The Buildings of Scotland: Dumfries and Galloway, Penguin Books.

RCAHMS (1914) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Fifth report and inventory of monuments and constructions in Galloway, II, county of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, Edinburgh, 197, Nos. 370-3.

Reid, R. C. (1926a) Minnigaff?, Trans Dumfriesshire Galloway Natur. Hist. Antiq. Soc., 3rd ser, 12, 1924-5, Field Meetings, 246-8.

About Scheduled Monuments

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Scheduling is the way that a monument or archaeological site of national importance is recognised by law through the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.

We schedule sites and monuments of national importance using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The description and map showing the scheduled area is the legal part of the scheduling. The additional information in the scheduled monument record gives an indication of the national importance of the monument(s). It is not a definitive account or a complete description of the monument(s). The format of scheduled monument records has changed over time. Earlier records will usually be brief and some information will not have been recorded. Scheduled monument consent is required to carry out certain work, including repairs, to scheduled monuments. Applications for scheduled monument consent are made to us. We are happy to discuss your proposals with you before you apply and we do not charge for advice or consent. More information about consent and how to apply for it can be found on our website at www.historicenvironment.scot.

Find out more about scheduling and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Minnigaff, Old Church

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/11/2018 19:07