Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

NORTH QUEENSFERRY, HILL HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND WELLLB9996

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/07/1985
Supplementary Information Updated
27/03/2003
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Inverkeithing
NGR
NT 13025 80607
Coordinates
313025, 680607

Description

Earlier 19th century rectangular-plan house with substantial Arts and Crafts wing projecting S from W gable, Sydney Mitchell and Wilson, 1891 to create L-plan. Earlier 19th century section: 2-storey and basement, 3-bay. Squared and snecked rubble to S; rendered to E and N; stone cills; hammer dressed ashlar quoins; eaves course. 1891 wing: coursed rubble, harl pointing, ashlar margins; straight moulded quoins; base course. Half-timbering; bracketed roof; decorative windows to S and E.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: earlier 19th century section to right: central timber panelled door; flanking basement windows and ground floor windows. 3 1st floor windows centred above ground floor openings. Advanced 1891 wing to left: wide single bay to S gable. Ground floor tripartite square-plan window on plinth; jettied half-timbered section above; central 3-light canted timber oriel, stained glass to upper oriel window cases; 2 windows flanking oriel; overhanging half-timbered plain bargeboarded gable above. Full-height canted window to far right of re-entrant angle; ground floor window left; 2 small timber-framed 1st floor windows to left.

E ELEVATION: timber boarded door off-centre left to basement. 1st floor window off-centre right.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: earlier 19th century section to left: 2 ground floor windows to left (right window of smaller dimension). 1 1st floor window to left.1891 wing to right: plain bargeboarded gable end to N; ground floor window to left; 1st floor window above.

W ELEVATION: 2 ground floor windows to left (right window of smaller dimension). 1st floor bipartite window to left; large tripartite window to right.

8- and 12-pane timber sash and case windows; 8- and 9-pane timber casement windows; some non-traditional windows. Pitched roofs; grey slates. Coped ashlar gablehead stacks and ashlar coped skews to earlier 19th century section (that to E rendered). Coped moulded ashlar gablehead stack to N of 1891 wing, wallhead stack to W.

INTERIOR: original layout mostly intact; most original 1891 chimneypieces retained.

BOUNDARY WALL: long random rubble wall defining rear boundary of property and lining long drive leading to top of The Brae.

WELL: random rubble barrel-vaulted well with brick arched opening; cast-iron gate to front, inserted into rear boundary wall next to house.

Statement of Special Interest

This house is situated in a prominent elevated position above the Main Road. Stephen states that "Hill House [is] situated on land called Drummond's Garden, and built, as far as the rear portion is concerned, by Alexander Chalmers, Edinburgh, sometime prior to 1833". A large Arts and Crafts addition by Sydney Mitchell & Wilson was added to an earlier symmetrical-plan house. In particular the original entrance of the earlier house has been retained in keeping with the symmetry of the first house. The new hall has been placed at the convergence of the two building phases and is lit by a decorative canted window set in the corner. Scott Morton and Company are also known to have supplied design no 2024 for tapestry decoration to the hall (see NMRS, SMW 1890/49) no longer in situ. The early well is similar to Willie's Well (see separate listing) located nearby at shore level. A former coach house, of random rubble with a corrugated metal roof has now been converted to a storage building and is located to the W of the house at the top of the drive and is set into the rear boundary wall. A small storage shed, probably a former coal shed is also set into the rear boundary wall and is located next to the scullery directly behind the house.

References

Bibliography

1st edition Ordnance Survey (1856). 2nd edition Ordnance Survey (1896). Drawings (SMW 1890/49), Sydney Mitchell & Wilson Collection at NMRS. Rev W Stephen, THE STORY OF INVERKEITHING AND ROSYTH (1938) p124. E P Dennison, R Coleman, HISTORIC NORTH QUEENSFERRY AND PENINSULA (2000) pp25, 44, 70.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NORTH QUEENSFERRY, HILL HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND WELL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/10/2019 19:41