Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

NORTH QUEENSFERRY, BATTERY ROAD, ROYAL NAVAL SIGNAL STATION COTTAGES, INCLUDING GATELODGE AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB9980

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/02/1988
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Inverkeithing
NGR
NT 13427 80231
Coordinates
313427, 680231

Description

1882-1883. Linear range of 6 single storey cottages and studio flat; advanced central cottage to front; advanced outbuilding to rear, arranged in cruciform plan. Rendered; painted base course; stone cills; segmental-arched openings interspersed with square-headed blind shallow panels throughout. Raised concrete pavement surrounding entire building.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical. Advanced piended 3-bay centre section with central door flanked by blind recessed panels and paired windows. Linear range to W with 3, 3-bay cottages to left of central section of 1-1-2 window arrangement. Linear range to E with 2, 3-bay cottages of 2-1-1 window arrangement; 1, 1-bay cottage to far right.

E ELEVATION: symmetrical. Central door; flanking narrow vertical recessed panels and windows.

N ELEVATION: near-symmetrical arrangement, bifurcated by linking outbuilding extending from centre. Linear range to E with 2, 3-bay cottages to left of outbuilding with central doors flanked by window to left and paired windows to right; 1, 1-bay to far left with window. Advanced central former wash house links cottage rage to outbuilding. Outbuilding consisting of storage sheds and former outside toilets; E elevation, 8-bay, from left to right, small blocked window, paired windows, open archway, two timber boarded doors, small light, open archway leading to three further units; N elevation with two small windows right and left of centre; W elevation, 8-bay, from right to left, timber boarded door with fanlight above, open archway, three timber boarded doors, open archway leading to three further units, small light. Linear range to W with 3, 3-bay cottages to right of outbuilding with central doors flanked by window to right and paired windows to left; to W re-entrant angle, window.

W ELEVATION: symmetrical; windows to outer bays.

Timber panelled doors to cottages; timber boarded doors to utility rooms. Predominantly 8-paned timber sash and case windows with horns; metal windows to far W cottage; some plastic top hung windows to rear elevation. Piended roof; grey slates; moulded stacks to wallheads and ridges; some octagonal clay cans.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2002.

GATELODGE: single storey; rectangular-plan sentinel lodge Rendered; wide base course; stone cills, round-arched windows now blocked. Central door to E; 2 windows to S; window to W; truncated central stack and flue raised out from N wall. Flat roof.

BOUNDARY WALLS: surrounding S, E and W of site; stone coped brick, square plan end-piers; some cast-iron railings on wall leading up to gate lodge; low iron gate leading to lower shore level.

Statement of Special Interest

Former accommodation of married Coast Guard officers, patrolmen and their families. The property was effected as a result of the Forth Bridge Railway Act of 1873, which gave the Company the right to acquire the old Coast Guard Station to make way for the building of the then new Forth Bridge. However, the Company was obliged to construct suitable new Coast Guard buildings to the satisfaction of the Admiralty. It was as late as 1911 before the site was disponed to the Admiralty by the Bridge Company, the site being occupied between 1873-1911 under the terms of the Act. In 1899 the Royal Navy took over an area of the site and formed a gun battery which was used during the First World War. Prior to this, the six cottages were built between 1882 and 1883 as a Coast Guard Station and these consisted of an officer's house, five cottages and a Watch House, also known as High Battery (formally to E of cottages). The present signal station tower was erected around 1917 and it was at this time that the Coast Guard Station was dis-used. The cottages were used between the Wars to accommodate the Forth River Pilots. It is understood that there were no gun emplacements on the site during the Second World War. The existing external WCs became redundant and are now used as stores.

References

Bibliography

2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1896). S Mackay, THE FORTH BRIDGE: A PICTURE HISTORY (1990) p24. E P Dennison, R Coleman, HISTORIC NORTH QUEENSFERRY AND PENNINSULA (2000) pp 56, 58, 71-2.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NORTH QUEENSFERRY, BATTERY ROAD, ROYAL NAVAL SIGNAL STATION COTTAGES, INCLUDING GATELODGE AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/11/2022 04:43