Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

NORTH QUEENSFERRY, FERRYHILLS ROAD, NORTH QUEENSFERRY STATION INCLUDING FENCE AND FOOTBRIDGELB9979

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/02/1988
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Inverkeithing
NGR
NT 13153 80827
Coordinates
313153, 680827

Description

Circa 1890. Single storey, rectangular-plan station and timber footbridge to S over railway. Later 20th century single storey flat-roof rectangular plan shed (to W of rail line) with commemorative Forth Bridge centenary mosaic (1990) to W elevation. Timber-built station on brick base. E elevation: 8 blind painted windows and cill course. S elevation: 2-leaf timber boarded doors with moulded architrave and large round-arched fanlight. W (platform) elevation: 3 timber panelled doors, timber framing (former central windows boarded up); full-length cantilevered awning with decorative valance; triangular roof ventilators to left. Pitched roof; graded grey slates; overhanging eaves with exposed rafters; coped brick ridge stacks; circular clay cans. Timber picket fencing along railway lining E and W platforms. Timber and steel-trussed footbridge to S.

INTERIOR: 3 rooms to platform consisting of ladies waiting room; general waiting room; ticket office with original counters and storage shelves. Classical motif chimneypieces to ticket office and ladies waiting room with cast-iron fireplaces. Tongue and groove panelling to dado height throughout.

Statement of Special Interest

The station was erected by the Forth Bridge Railway Company originally as a pair of ranges on opposite platforms. Only the East block now survives. Similar station buildings were re-built (by the North British Railway Company) at Inverkeithing. The station at North Queensferry forms part of the North Approach Railway and was built as part of the Forth Bridge (see separate listing) construction master plan. The North Approach Railway is just over 3km in length commencing from the abutment at the N end of the Forth Bridge and terminating at Inverkeithing at the former junction with the North British Railway. The N approach also includes the large viaduct at Jamestown (see separate listing). In the late 1980s, the remaining station building was closed and the platform window openings boarded up. It now operates as an unmanned station (2002).

References

Bibliography

2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1896). J Hume, INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY, Vol 1 (1976) p136-137.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NORTH QUEENSFERRY, FERRYHILLS ROAD, NORTH QUEENSFERRY STATION INCLUDING FENCE AND FOOTBRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/09/2019 03:54