Robert Stevenson, 1815; circular lighthouse and block of 2-storey keepers' houses. D A Stevenson, 1889; engine house, and additions and alterations to houses.
LIGHTHOUSE: 6-stage tower. Painted rubble; painted ashlar dressings. Raised margins. Modern glazing in windows, except in quatrefoil. Projecting crenellated course between 2nd and 3rd stages. 3 band courses between upper stages. Quatrefoils to N, E, S and W at 6th stage, blinded except to W. Window to remaining stages to W, blinded at 1st stage. Window to 3rd stage and blinded window to 5th stage to E. Corbelled gallery, with diamond-patterned metal railing. Domed lantern, with 3 rows of triangular framed glazing. Single storey corridor adjoined to E, linking tower to keepers' houses.
INTERIOR spiral stair; cast-iron balustrade with timber handrail. Brass fittings. Original clockwork machinery.
LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS' HOUSES: 2-storey, with basement to S and with cellars; contains 3 houses, 2 at ground floor, 1 at 1st floor. Painted rubble; painted droved ashlar dressings. Rusticated quoins. Band course between floors. Raised margins. Base course. Flat-roofed, with eaves cornice and blocking course. Corniced and shouldered wallhead stacks at centre to N and S. Sash and case windows; 8-pane glazing to W, 2-pane glazing at 1st floor and 4-pane glazing at ground floor to E and N.
E ELEVATION: 3-bay main block. Outer bays advanced, with tripartite windows to both floors. Door (modern) at centre at 1st floor (enlarged from window); winding forestair up (1889), with door to N return and small windows to E and S, and with decorative polygonal piers at base; (originally window at ground at centre). Single storey wings (1889) flanking to left and right; window to wing to right.
S ELEVATION: single storey and basement wing adjoined to right; window to W; panelled door to left and window to right below at basement; wallhead stack to S. Door into cellars to left of wing.
N ELEVATION: blinded window at centre at 1st floor. Wing adjoined to left, with wallhead stack; wing enlarged and slightly recessed to right, with bipartite window; extended beyond elevation to right, with chamfered angle, to clasp W elevation.
W ELEVATION: 5-bay. Linking corridor adjoined at ground at centre. Window above and in remaining bays at ground and 1st floors.
CORRIDOR: linking tower and keepers' houses. Similarly detailed; double-leaf boarded doors. Door to left and window to right to S; engine house adjoined to left. Door to left to N (original entrance to all 3 houses); modern harled block adjoined to right, with 3 windows to N.
ENGINE HOUSE: adjoined to lighthouse and linking corridor to S. Painted brick. Flat-roofed, with blocking course. Metal-framed small-pane glazing. Segmental-arched openings. Bays recessed by pilaster strips. Door to right, and window to left and centre to W. Machinery door to left and window to right and centre to E. 2 windows to left to S; lower block (originally workshop and store), surmounted by tank, adjoined to right with 2 windows to S, window to W and door to E.
Single storey building to S. Enlarged in brick to E and S (1889).
Similarly detailed. Door and flanking windows to right to N, to
original section; blocking course slightly raised above door and
inscribed "1815". 2 later segmental-arched doors to left. Enlarged as lean-to (originally containing ash pits) to S, with door and 2 windows.
Foghorn (D A Stevenson, 1889) situated to W. Set on raised concrete platform, continued round base of foghorn engine house.
ENCLOSURE WALLS: painted rubble walls. Crenellated wall to N of lighthouse; pillar well in wall. Wall continued to form cultivation enclosure to E.
Former milkhouses to E. Former byre further E.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.