Rectangular-plan church built probably first quarter 18th
century, perhaps incorporating earlier fabric; N jamb added
1763 (dated) forming T-plan. Vestry and porch added to W
gable 1858, George Schoular mason; renovated 1871 (?porches
on remaining gables added then), - Crombie of Dumfries
architect. Mainly harled; margins, porches and belfry all red
ashlar. Key-stoned basket-arched windows all 1763, inner
windows on long S elevation (flanking pulpit) heightened by
Crombie, windows to other elevations with cills lowered some
12" perhaps in 1st half of 19th century. Body of church is
fairly long and thick-walled. Open W porch has shouldered
doorway; birdcage belfry above (?by Crombie). Straight skews
with moulded skewputts; cross finial at W. All roofs covered
with graded slates.
Interior: good artisan monument dated 1757 with classical
ornament, on jamb E wall; pulpit has panelled front.
Churchyard enclosed mainly by iron fence, gate at NE, square
red ashlar corniced gatepiers with pyramidal caps; steps
alongside. Some good 17th-19th century headstones; Shaw
enclosure against church E wall.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. OSA gives 1764 as
date of building. E-W orientation of body of church may
indicate re-use of pre-Reformation fabric, but harling
prevents further analysis.
Change of Category B to A 22.2.88