Alexander Stevens architect of L-plan mansion circa 1786;
wide centre-bowed terrace to E and superimposed colonnades,
also presumably by Stevens (?circa 1790), latter perhaps a
design modification before original building scheme was
completed; new S front by William Burn 1830-34, filling
re-entrant angle. Low service court at NE. Castellated
mansion dramatically sited above valley and garden terraces.
2/3 storeys with basement. Built mostly of coursed red
ashlar; roofs slated, and mostly concealed by parapets.
Stevens' work in Robert Adam's castellated style with tiny
bartizans and machicolated and crenellated parapets;
additions fairly sympathetic but with cross-windows.
Original house: mainly 2 storeys, 3-storey centres to 3
elevations with parapets linked at roof platform. 7-bay N
elevation with round-headed ground floor openings, columned
porch (cf. colonnade detailing) in shallow advanced centre;
continuous band at impost level. 3-bay W flank rubble-built
with tripartites, Burlington windows at ground.
(Principal) E elevation: pyramidal composition of 4 recessed
and diminishing stages with 3-storey bowed centre forming
apex; segmental-arched and balustraded deep, wide terrace at
basement level extends beyond house either side, colonnades -
also balustraded - full width of house at ground, and
clasping bow at 1st floor.
S elevation (by Burn): 3-storey massive square tower left has
recessed inner bay, round-arcched main entrance with oriel
above and deep corbelling; flank of original house is
recessed right and altered by Burn, with canted window and
castellated gable head. Good interior.