Attributed to Richard Crichton on stylistic grounds. Built
circa 1805. Important country house in Adam castellated
style, gutted and now roofless but complete to wallhead.
Square-plan with round tourelles at each angle, walls
slightly ramped. 2-stories over raised ground level basement,
with 3 storey advanced centre bays to front elevation giving
tower effect. Finely tooled droved red sandstone walling.
Built for Sir William Douglas of Castle Douglas.
Front elevation: 1-3-3-3-1 bays with round towers to outer
bays, 3 single light bays and to centre advanced castellated
bay with narrow lights in advanced clasping towers flanking
recessed wider centre bay. Curved perron stair (now
demolished) oversailing raised basement gave access to
tripartite entrance with round-arched openings. All ground
floor windows round-arched.
Flanks have plain single light windows.
Garden front: Complex 1-3-3-1 bay arrangement with 3-light
bowed bays flanking central 3-light canted bay.
Single light windows, formerly sash and case with 12-pane
Band courses over basement and 1st and at 1st floor cills.
Corbelled crenellated parapet with diminutive turrets atop
each round tower.
INTERIOR: mostly destroyed, much brick used for internal
walls, brick vaulted basement. Cantilevered oval service
stair to left of hall. Fragments of timber panelling,
doorpieces and chimneypieces only.