Presumably to design of William Keir, circa 1870. Farmhouse
with contemporary and later steading ranges.
Farmhouse: S elevation: 2 storeys 3 bays, lower single bay wing
recessed at left. Rendered as ashlar, with ashlar margins and
dressings. Central round-headed and keystoned doorway, panelled
door with fanlight; 4-pane sashes; eaves/lintel band; corniced
end stacks; roofed with graded slates. Left wing extends N; small rectangular-plan, piended shed linked to NE angle.
Steading: rubble-built with ashlar dressings. Essentially 2
L-plan blocks around rectangular courtyard. Single storey block
(nearest SE) has slated roof ventilators.
Main range: mostly single storey with lofts contained below
eaves; N wing (includes barn) stepped down slope towards E, conical-roofed horsemill against N wall; W range (includes
haybarn) has series of wide rectangular openings to E and to W at
upper level, forestair at N gable. Detached haybarn to N,
workshop to W.
All roofs slated.
Statement of Special Interest
Home of William Keir who was appointed by the Duke of Buccleuch
to superintend estate improvements (for Keir, see Old
Statistical Account, entry for Canonbie parish, and see also
SRO GD 224).
Upgraded B to A 12.7.88.