Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

Walled garden and gateway excluding scheduled monument SM871, Piteadie Castle, KinghornLB9697

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
18/06/1979
Last Date Amended
27/09/2017
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Kinghorn
NGR
NT 25739 89128
Coordinates
325739, 689128

Description

15th century extensive walled garden with round-arched Renaissance gateway and pediment with Calderwood arms inscribed 1686 and second gate with inscribed lintel to west wall.

Statement of Special Interest

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: Scheduled Monument SM871.

In 1564 the castle belonged to William Kirkcaldy of Grange, passing in 1637 to David Boiswell of Glassmount, and subsequently to the Boswells of Balmuto. It was sold in 1671 to William Calderwood an Edinburgh burgess and apothecary whose initials appear over the gate to the walled garden. Later described in the NSA as "very entire in its ruins. This place was inhabited not more than an hundred years ago. It belongs to the Earl of Rosslyn, and has been in the family of the St Clairs for a long period".

References

Bibliography

Bibliography

Canmore http://www.canmore.org.uk CANMORE ID: 120719

Maps

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1855, published 1856) Fife, Sheet 37 (includes: Kinghorn; Kirkcaldy And Dysart) 1st Edition, 25 Inches to the Mile. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (revised 1894, published 1895) Fifeshire 035.15 (includes: Kinghorn; Kirkcaldy and Dysart), 2nd Edition, 25 inches to 1 mile. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

MacGibbon, D. & Ross, T. (1896) Castellated and Domestic Architecture, Volume 3, pp.450-455.

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (1933) Inventory of Monuments in the Counties of Fife, Kinross and Clackmannan, Edinburgh: His Majesties Stationary Office. pp.172-173.

Gifford, J. (2002) Buildings of Scotland – Fife. Edinburgh: Yale University Press, pp.342-343.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

Walled garden and gateway excluding scheduled monument SM871, Piteadie Castle, Kinghorn, looking north, during daytime with cloudy sky
Walled garden and gateway excluding scheduled monument SM871, Piteadie Castle, Kinghorn, looking east during daytime

Printed: 21/05/2019 18:48