Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

KNOCK CASTLELB9326

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/04/1971
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Glenmuick, Tullich And Glengairn
National Park
Cairngorms
NGR
NO 35226 95157
Coordinates
335226, 795157

Description

Circa 1600. 3-storey and attic, rectangular-plan roofless towerhouse, complete to wallhead, sited on rocky hill. Rubble granite, squared for dressings, giant boulders anchoring corner foundations. Approximately 27 x 22 feet, walls 4 feet thick. Arrowslit windows at intervals to each floor and elevation.

Door at ground to right of S elevation, formerly accessing newel stair to right; remaining elevations blank at ground except for arrowslit windows. Window at 1st floor to left of S and W elevations and at centre to N and E, lighting hall. Double tier of windows at 2nd floor to S elevation, relieving arch above upper window. Window at centre of N and E elevations at 2nd floor and to left of W. Corbelled, gabled caphouse to SE corner with window in gablehead to S. Further attic window to gabled centre bay of E elevation. Corbelled, circular bartizans to NE and NW corners with small windows.

Chimneyheaded gables to E and W and to caphouse. Ashlar coped skews.

Statement of Special Interest

Property in the care of the Scottish Ministers on behalf of Her Majesty. Knock Castle is a good example of a minor laird's towerhouse, situated in a prominent position in the landscape. It would have been surrounded by ancillary buildings such as stables, a bakehouse, and a brewhouse. There would have been a hall on the first floor with a vaulted basement, which would have been used as a kitchen. The exact date of construction is uncertain, but is likely to be around the late 16th or early 17th century.

The lands of Knock were owned by a branch of the Gordon family in the 16th century. The family were embroiled in a feud throughout the century with the Forbes family. In 1592, the Clan Chattan raided the area and killed Henry Gordon of Knock. Henry's brother, Alexander, succeeded him and may have built this tower, or he may have rebuilt the upper sections of the previous castle, in order to update it. Tradition states that Alexander fell to his death down the staircase after being overcome with grief when he learnt that a party of Forbes had killed his seven sons. The lands then passed to the Gordons of Abergeldie.

MacGibbon and Ross draw a parallel between Knock Castle and Birse Castle, Aberdeenshire. They note too that the style is late for its period, similar to the keeps of the Borders.

References

Bibliography

MacGibbon & Ross Castellated and Domestic Architecture of Scotland (1888), vol 2, pp29-30 and p49. Information from www.scran.ac.uk (accessed 21-07-08). Further information form information board.

Historic Environment Scotland Properties

Knock Castle

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/

Find out more

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KNOCK CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/04/2024 16:20