Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

NETHER ARDGRAIN, FARMHOUSELB9106

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
16/04/1971
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Ellon
NGR
NJ 95295 33957
Coordinates
395295, 833957

Description

Dated C.R. 1664 at Royal Arms in centre gable and J.E.B.

1751 at lintel. (Query if all of 1751 re-using materials of

1664 house). 2-storey and dormerless attic, harled, skewputts,

steeply battered walls, approximately symmetrical S. front

with centre 1-window gable of slight projection, roll

moulded doorpiece with arched panel (inscribed HOW HAPPY

WOVLD THE HVSBANDMAN BE IF HE KNEW HIS OWN GOOD [VIRGIL] LET IMPROVEMENTS AND LIBERTY FLOVRISH.) and sundial over.

1-window each side, those on E. asymmetrically placed, all

chamfered. Single-storey kitchen wing at right angles S.W.

Interior: woodwork all of 1751, original chimney-pieces at

1st floor, one moulded 17th or 18th century, one c. 1800. Column-balustered stair. S.E. ground floor room formerly

had chimneypiece in S.W. angle.

Statement of Special Interest

This house is not easy to date. A.G.R. Mackenzie believed

it to be of the 1664 date merely refitted with the door

raised by Bean. The lower jambs are of surface granite, the

very thin top jambs freestone and the lintel quarried

granite. Except for the steep batter of the walls (including

the centre gable) and the roll moulded doorpiece the house

would accord well enough with a mid 18th century date.

References

Bibliography

Godsman, Ellon, p. 167. The J.E.B. initials are for John

Edward Bean. The Royal Coat of Arms relates to the erection

of Ardgrain into a barony by Royal Charter 1528 with the

Crown as superior. The present house was erected by John

Kennedy of Kermuck who purchased the barony in 1629 and

reconstructed or rebuilt by Bean. Dunbar, Historic

Architecture of Scotland p. 84 (Reads date as 1731).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NETHER ARDGRAIN, FARMHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 16:15