Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

LATHRISK HOUSE AND GATEPIERSLB9042

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
01/03/1984
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Kettle
NGR
NO 27322 8468
Coordinates
327322, 708468

Description

Substantially rebuilt 1786 in a simple classical manner, incorporating earlier fabric in rear ranges. 2-storey house, 7 bays, the central wider, advanced and pedimented. Front elevation (1786): ashlar (wings and most other elevations harled); central round-arched and keystoned entrance with fanlight and pilastered sidelights; tripartite above, and

oculus in pediment. 12-pane sashes; band course between floors. Mutule cornice; symmetrically placed coped stacks and piended slate roof. Narrow linking bays to single storey piend-roofed wings: single Venetian window to each wing. Bay to rear of 1786 range, containing circular

cantilevered stair, forms link with earlier 3-storey house, now much altered with later additions. West elevation: 3 storeys with trelliced porch, 2-storey and attic central projection with door in re-entrant angle and turnpike stair, an additional 2-storey wing projects westward at the south. Symmetrically placed stacks and piended slate roofs. Blocks linked by rubble-built quadrant walls with square, ball-finialed and corniced rubble gatepiers (latter perhaps 17th century) forming courtyard. Interior of 1786 range: panelled doors in architraves with entablatures; some chimney pieces, and decorative plasterwork; simple fan cornice in entrance hall. 2 parallel vaulted chambers to ground floor of rear range. Gatepiers to south west.

Statement of Special Interest

The flanking wings may be earlier than 1786.

References

Bibliography

1974 sale catalogue retained in SMR. OLD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, 1791

vol I, p 371. RCAHM INVENTORY OF FIFE, 1933. p161, (No 296). Sibbald, HISTORY OF FIFE, (1803 ed), p385.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LATHRISK HOUSE AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/05/2019 11:04