Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

PARISH KIRK OF ST ATHERNASELB8842

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
17/10/1973
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Leuchars
NGR
NO 45542 21394
Coordinates
345542, 721394

Description

1183-7 (?) consecrated 1244. Romanesque chancel of approx square plan (19'9" x 18' internally) and apse (12' x 12'6"). Ashlar-built, 2 orders of arcades externally, lower order of chancel interlaced (considerably restored John Milne, St Andrews, 1858) sculptured corbel table at wall head. Wooden roofed choir, vaulted apse; re-roofed shortly before 1638, domed bell turret added at apse probably later in century.

Nave: aisleless rectangle, much altered Robert Balfour (St Andrews) 1812-14 when N. gallery stair was added; rebuilt 1858 John Milne, but incorporating some original masonry on N side, Victorian Romanesque with symmetrical S front having centre gable arch porch. Chancel re-opened into nave and other repairs and renovations, Reginald Fairlie 1914,

font also by him 1922. Monuments: Carnegie of Kinnaird 1565, Sir Wm (1584) and Lady Agnes (1635) Bruce of Earlshall slabs now within church.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Special value as the immediate surroundings of the Romanesque part of the church. Former items 454, 457-60, 463 are now either demolished or reconstructed.

References

Bibliography

OSA v XVIII p599 NSA v IX p221 (il & plan: good account by J McKinlay of Bo'ness) Ecc Arch v I p309 il & plan Inv 398 il & plan. Nuttgens, Fairlie p18, 19 full scheme of nave with W. tower based on foundations discovered in 1913 designed 1914 but not executed il plate 10.

J R Walker, Pre-Reformation Churches in Fife. Millar Fife v I p351 etc. Heritors' Records. The minutes of 1853-6 show that a report was obtained from David Bryce but its contents are not recorded: John Milne was engaged instead.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PARISH KIRK OF ST ATHERNASE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/05/2019 21:49