Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
NS 36990 51330
236990, 651330


Mid 18th century millhouse and adjoining early 19th century fomer mill.

Millhouse: 2 storeys 3 bays, set back from road; central door with lugged architrave and bolection-moulded frieze and cornice. 3 windows to 1st floor, possibly enlarged. Painted margins and roll-moulded surrounds to windows; moulded eaves course. Painted cement harl.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 bays, enlarged openings; single storey piend-roofed wing to centre, lean-to in re-entrant angle to L.

UPVC glazing. Grey slates laid in diminishing courses; stone ridge; straight stone skews to principal elevation, sawtooth with beaked skewputts to rear; end stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Mill: on sloping site breaking forward from house; roofless and derelict (2003). Long 2-storey range with basement at gable and rear; range to L with forestair. Irregularly-spaced openings. Doocot in N gable; small painted relief owl sculpture below (see Notes). Sawtooth skews. Some original machinery remains inside.

INTERIOR OF MILLHOUSE: not seen (2003); apparently nothing original survives.

Statement of Special Interest

The former corn mill has lain empty and derelict for some time. Originally the building was limewashed with a slate roof. The owl sculpture set into the north gable reputedly came from the ruins of Giffen Castle, the stronghold of the Montgomeries of Giffen. In the mid 18th century material from the castle was apparently used to build the mill and later the millhouse. A photograph in Reid shows a view of the the mill from the rear as it was intact.



James Dobie CUNINGHAME TOPOGRAPHIZED BY TIMOTHY PONT 1604-1608 (1876) p165. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol V p580. David MacGibbon and Thomas Ross CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE Vol III (1887-92) p194. John Hume INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND Vol I (1976) p48. Marked on 1st edition OS map of 1858; marked as corn mill on 2nd edition OS map of 1897 and 3rd edition of 1910. Donald Reid OLD BEITH (2000).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BARRMILL, DUNLOP ROAD, GIFFEN MILL AND MILLHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/06/2023 01:45