Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

EAST GRANGE MILLLB8665

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
25/04/1989
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Parish
Kinloss
NGR
NJ 9512 61682
Coordinates
309512, 861682

Description

Mid and later 19th century but probably incorporating earlier

core. Long rectangular 2-storey cornmill on sloping site

with long elevations E and W and with approach ramp at S

gable giving access to loft. Harl pointed rubble, tooled

rubble dressings. Overshot millwheel at E elevation served by

raised lade. Various doorways and windows in long W elevation

and small single storey lean-to extension. Tall octagonal

ridge kiln vent; slate roof.

INTERIOR: all machinery complete and in reasonable working

order; 2 sets of millstones, 1 pair dating from circa 1898.

Statement of Special Interest

A mill is indicated at East Grange in circa 1590 on map drawn

by Rev Timothy Pont; there may have been an even earlier one

serving the medieval Cistercian Abbey at Kinloss, East Grange

then being part of the abbey lands. The present building may

incorporate fabric of the mill known to have been standing

in 1746. East Grange mill ceased full-time working in 1975-6

due to the retirement of the miller but continues in partial

farm use for bruising cattle feed.

References

Bibliography

David Milne, 'The East Grange Mill - a Note on its Primary

Machinery', MORAY FIELD CLUB BULLETIN 4 (1976), pp.14-17.

John Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND ii (1977),

p.234.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to EAST GRANGE MILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 03:03