There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 25/04/1989
- Supplementary Information Updated: 18/11/2016
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Kinloss
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NJ 6392 60526
- Coordinates: 306392, 860526
1808-9, designed by William Stark, Edinburgh; additions and alterations 1837; and by John Rhind, Inverness, 1881; further additions 1898. Mansion of 2 storeys and attic over rock-faced raised basement, 5-bay S (main) front. Tooled ashlar frontage, coursed rubble flanks and rear, polished ashlar dressings.
Wide, slightly advanced and pedimented centre bay delineated by paired giant pilasters with stylised foliate capitals. Centre tripartite doorpiece masked by later 1881 classical portico supported by stumpy Roman Doric widely spaced columns resting on and integral with balustrade flanking flight of steps oversailing raised basement. Attic storey raised over 4 angles in 1881; French pavilion roofs each fronted by open pedimented wallhead dormer with segmental-headed window (8 dormers in all).3-bay return elevations, at W with later projecting pilastered tripartite opening onto balcony at S from which a balustraded flight of steps descends to garden. Substantial single storey and basement, 4-bay rear addition with flat roof surrounded by ashlar balustrade and rear stair tower rising 1 stage above roof, this stage with clasping pilaster strips and arcaded panels, crowning cornice and parapet. 2- and 12-pane glazing; corniced wallhead and centre stacks; piended platform roofs. 1898 screenwall extends E with round-headed doorway and monogrammed tympanum under open pediment; rock-faced ashlar lower courses, tooled ashlar upper portion; ashlar cornice, blocking course and ball finials. Keystoned oculi flank gate, 2 similar in basement flanking front steps.
INTERIOR: fine entrance-stairhall with enriched decoratively banded plaster ceiling, fluted columned screen supporting Doric entablature and cantilevered staircase with ornate cast-iron balusters.
DRAWING ROOM AND PARLOUR (SITTING ROOM): open off hall at W, intercommunicating through double doors; decorated plaster ceilings; beaded panelled doors, dados, window shutters, bracketted overdoors with neo-classical details to frieze; white marble chimneypieces.
DINING ROOM: opens off hall at E; swagged plaster cornice and carved overdoors with similar motif; bracketted and corniced buffet recess; grey marble chimneypiece; beaded panelled doors, dados and window shutters.
Statement of Special Interest
James Peterkin of Grange and Greeshop (Forres) purchased The Grange Estate from the Dunbar family around 1799-1800 and built the mansion house in 1808-9. His fourth child Mary Ann eventually inherited the house following the deaths of her two brothers. She married Major Peter Grant of Invererne in 1836 and they took the name of Grant Peterkin. William Stark (1770-1813), the mansion's designer, was an architect of unusual ability who died young. The ground floor public rooms of Grange Hall appear little altered from 1809, retaining their original decoration and fittings, all of excellent quality.
W Leslie, GENERAL REVIEW OF THE AGRICULTURE OF THE COUNTIES OF NAIRN AND MORAY (1813), pp.52-3. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1842), pp.206, 208. FORRES GAZETTE, 12 Jan 1881; advertisement for tenders. Additional information provided by the owner s family (2016).
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.