Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CHARLETON HOUSELB8581

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
01/02/1972
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Kilconquhar
NGR
NO 45967 3892
Coordinates
345967, 703892

Description

1759, original part, 2-storey basement and 1905 attics. 5-window ashlar south front with quoin angles and rich pedimented Roman Doric column tripartite doorpiece set back. West wing probably c 1803, 3-storey (ground floor is basement level of main house) 3-window, centre advanced with tripartites; smaller set back east wing, similar style and date. Alterations and additions William Burn 1832-3, single-storey and basement south-east addition with canted bay. General repair, round- headed windows inserted between ground floor windows in south front to form semi-Venetian treatment, toplit saloon inserted between wings, new single storey north front added Sir Robert Lorimer 1905; effect not

liked, upper floor with busts, roundels and top balustrade added to designs by Col Charles Anstruther shortly thereafter. Interesting interior work, unusual collection of bric-a-brac including chimneypiece (bought from Blumenthal) in saloon, notable mid 18th century work in drawing room and old entrance hall, which has trompe d'oeil decoration. Other interiors of note remodelled by Lorimer either wholly or in part, Italian 17th century aedicule and panelling from Bolsover Castle Derbyshire incorporated in south-west room.

Statement of Special Interest

Within the house an interesting folio of drawings; none for original house which might be from a scheme by Wm Adam, but large unsigned classical scheme of 1802 for house and stables, neo-Greek Burn scheme of 1818, Burn plans of 1832-3, an unexecuted Bryce scheme of 1855 and various proposals relating to the work of 1905 onwards.

References

Bibliography

NSA v IX p 326 Scottish Field January 1964 p 28.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CHARLETON HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/05/2019 10:23