There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 22/02/1972
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Inveravon
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NJ 21723 25684
- Coordinates: 321723, 825684
John Gall, Aberdeen, 1827-9, interior completed and
re-modelled by Bishop James Kyle, possibly with design
assistance from Rev Walter Lovi, 1843-4. Gothic Church;
orientated approximately E/W with entrance in gabled W front.
Tooled pink granite ashlar front and dressings, harl pointed
flanks and rear. Unusual plan incorporating priest's quarters
under the same roof.
3-bay W front delineated and flanked by stepped buttresses
terminating with pinnacles; coped and partially crenellated
wallhead. Centre pointed-headed recessed entrance with
(blank) datestone above; narrow flanking 2-light windows and
3-light above door, all with simple wooden tracery and
3-bay flanks with windows as in W (at extreme E divided
vertically and half blind). Simple square-headed doorway in
E gable with similar fenestration as W with no buttresses and
small centre ground floor window.
Apex crosses; slate roof.
INTERIOR: simple entrance lobby with local flagstone floor.
Lofty vaulted interior with narrow side aisles; ribbed
vaulting supported by timber panelled cast-iron columns with
decorative plaster capitals and matching corbel stones set in
aisle walls. Altar set in shallow chancel; W gallery houses
organ with decorated pipes.
Area between chancel and E gable formerly served as
Presbytery (access by door in N elevation); now empty.
BURIAL GROUND: square rubbled walled burial ground; 19th and
20th century tombstones, many of those of 19th century date
being of finely inscribed local slate.
Burial ground wall (1843) continues around W front of church
with wide entrance flanked by simple capped gate-piers.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
A priest served the Tombae area from at least 1745, living
further upstream at Kinakyle by 1794. Nearby a 'new mass
house' was built about 1790, the ruins of which are marked on
1st ed OS, circa 1870. This 'masshouse' was superseded by
present Tombae church, which was opened for worship on Feb 2,
1829, though unfinished. Interior re-modelled and completed
1843-4 including insertion of priest's dwelling accommodation
in E portion; interior vaulted, lobby and organ gallery above constructed.
Tomintoul RC Church also has Presbytery incorporated within
River Livet formerly spanned by bridge opposite W entrance.
Upgraded B to A 9.11.87
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1794), p. 35.
Peter F Anson, "Catholic Church Building in Scotland from the Reformation until the Outbreak of the First World War,
1560-1914", INNES REVIEW v (1954), pp. 125-140. NORTHERN
SCOT, 23 June 1979. Account of 150th anniversary of Tombae
church. Scottich Catholic Archives PL3/113, PL5/204, 206
(1827), BL 6/445/5-13; PL 3/311/1-6, IM 16/5, IM 32/2
(1843/44) BL6/402 (Burial ground).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.