There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 22/02/1972
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Inveravon
- National Park: Cairngorms
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NJ 24170 20992
- Coordinates: 324170, 820992
CHURCH: John Kinross, 1896-7. Scottish Romanesque.
Rectangular church orientated roughly N-S fronted at S by
3-stage square gabled tower with entrance in centre of N
face. Harled with pink tooled granite dressings. Recessed
pointed-headed doorway with moulded surrounds double-leaf
plank doors with ornate cast-iron hinges. Canopied niche
above housing statue of Our Lady. Long and short angle
dressings to tower, with crowstepped gabled, apex cross and
grouped quatrefoil vents in each face.
Long, 4-bay nave elevations lit by narrow hoodmoulded,
round-headed lights with leaded glazing. Chancel lit by
round-headed tripartite under continuous hoodmould in E
elevation below diminutive arcaded eaves band. Lean-to
sacristy at W. Slate roof.
Church linked at W to Chapel House (see below).
INTERIOR: richly stencilled lofty aisles interior; stencilled
decoration continues to panelled gallery front across N end
of church. High chancel with plain walls and richly decorated
timber barrel vaulted ceiling; carved canopied reredos with
paintings of saints flanking central picture of Our Lady, all
with gilded backgrounds. 5-panelled front to altar, each
panel illustrated with angel with musical instrument. Simple
pine pews; facetted pulpit decorated with vines on ashlar
base; marble font.
CHAPEL HOUSE: 1830-40, raised to 2 storeys in later 19th
century. SE facing 2-storey, symmetrical 3-bay house with
symmetrical 3-window rear elevation, linked by 2-storey,
single bay wing to chancel.
Centre door masked by late 19th century gabled and glazed
porch. 4- and 12-pane glazing; end stacks; Tomintoul slate
BURIAL GROUND: rubble walled burial ground to rear of church
with 19th century tomb stones, many of local slate.
Statement of Special Interest
Church an ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Abbe Paul MacPherson of Wester Scalan had wished to establish
an RC parish church at Scalan after the closure of the
seminary in 1799 and the final departure of Rev James Sharp
in 1808. It was not until 1828 that he was given a piece of
barren ground at Littletown of Eskemulloch (now Chapeltown)
where he established a church and school, both superseded by
'Plans prepared by architect to Marquis of Bute' who was John
Kinross of Edinburgh.
Chapel House formerly served as Presbytery.
Drawing of former church in sacristy dated 1840. It was
probably designed in 1828 by Rev Walter Lovi, Priest at Keith
1825-37, also architect for Dufftown, Keith, Braemar and
Wick RC churches.
Upgraded B to A 9.11.87.
BANFFSHIRE ADVERTISER, 25 June 1896. BANFFSHIRE JOURNAL, 14
Sept 1897. Report of consecration. H Dunnet, INVERA'AN; A
STRATHSPEY PARISH (1919), pp. 117-9. Victory Gaffney,
TOMINTOUL, ITS GLENS AND ITS PEOPLE (1970), p. 46. Scottish
Catholic Archives PL 3/128 (1828)
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.