Dated variously 1546 to 1850. Castellated mansion of varying
builds and heights with 1546 Z-plan tower house as core. All
harled with tooled and polished ashlar and granite dressings
Original entrance to castle from N flanked by 2 18th century
wings (1718 and later); re-cast to S in 1850 by Thomas
Mackenzie of Elgin. Imposing doorpiece in base of S tower
decorated with strapwork, text, armorial and monogram, dated
1546 and 1850. Further additions and re-modelling in 1850
including E wing and service court with arched E entrance.
Corbelled square cap houses to original tower house, slender
stair turrets within re-entrant angles; 19th century gabled
dormers with decorative detailing and monograms; bartizans
with slated conical roofs and apex finials. Mainly 12-pane
glazing; coped wallhead and ridge stacks; Banffshire slate
INTERIOR: vaulted entrance hall re-modelled 1850; richly
decorated ribs spring from central column; painted ashlar
baronial chimneypiece. Wide oak staircase opens off hall,
with turned and carved balusters. Further turnpike staircase
in 1602 tower.
Former 1st floor hall entirely re-decorated in 1850 in
consciously historicist manner, with panelled walls, doors and
window shutters; nail-head detailing to window embrasures and doorpieces; ornate strapwork and pendant plaster ceiling;
marble chimneypiece with flanking caryatids, coat of arms and
monogram. Panelled library with carved chimneypiece with
Statement of Special Interest
Z-plan tower house probably built by John Grant and his wife
Barbara Gordon. Ballindalloch remained property of Grant
family until death of General William Grant in 1806, when
estate passed to George MacPherson of Invereshie, later Sir
George MacPherson-Grant. 2nd Baronet, Sir John, commissioned
Thomas Mackenzie to alter and remodel castle in 1850.
Various re-set datestones outside and inside castle.